Ford Forums banner

problems fitting my 460

4K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  billk460 
#1 ·
Just put the engine in the xw today.1st problem is the oil filter is like 5mm from sway bar mounting bracket making it impossible to change , do they make a short filter to fit a 460.Had to take the grinder to the new ford motorsport tappet cover to clear the booster but then noticed that because i have platinuim rockers I didnt need such high covers anyway , I really shouldn,t start on the rum so early in the morning ,LOL.It certainly dosnt leave much room for the radiator & thermo,s but I,ll work something out.

#2 ·
Black XW said:
Just put the engine in the xw today.1st problem is the oil filter is like 5mm from sway bar mounting bracket making it impossible to change , do they make a short filter to fit a 460.Had to take the grinder to the new ford motorsport tappet cover to clear the booster but then noticed that because i have platinuim rockers I didnt need such high covers anyway , I really shouldn,t start on the rum so early in the morning ,LOL.It certainly dosnt leave much room for the radiator & thermo,s but I,ll work something out.
you can use a volvo oil filter it is shorter i cant remember the number i think it is a z10 or z89 maybe but it is defenite a volvo filter i had same problem in old bb xy. i had the tall moroso covers on old car and had to cut and plate around booster also. i have the alloy motorsport now and will have to do same, what is the clearance like with the towers and covers, keep the covers they look awesome, no wonder your on the rum have you finished bolting up the extractors, that would drive anyone to drink. :priest:

#3 ·
The clearance between towers was good.Fitted passenger pipe but couldn,t get drivers side in.This was only a check run , pulled the engine back out will hook up box , pipes & starter & load the whole lot in one go maybe tommorow unless its a rum only day .

#5 ·
You guys are better men than me shoehorning a BB into an XY. It took a full day to do up the custom pipes in my XD. I was close to burning it to the ground. I know an XY is twice as bad.

Keep me posted Black XW, sounds like you're nearly ready for a race.......

#6 ·
Black XW said:
Thanks for the tip on the volvo filter Reece I,ll have a look for one tomorrow.
Dale.
Why don't you run a remote filter. I'm assuming you use an engine plate. I fitted my to the engine plate. Looks oh so racey too.

#7 ·
I have a oil cooler plate and Z89 fitted to mine in my ZC and it all fits

#8 ·
Black XW said:
The clearance between towers was good.Fitted passenger pipe but couldn,t get drivers side in.This was only a check run , pulled the engine back out will hook up box , pipes & starter & load the whole lot in one go maybe tommorow unless its a rum only day .
sounds like a good idea but i dont think it works im sure it all goes in with pipes laying in place then bolt up once there in sad but true, and some spanner mods helps your 7/16 will never be the same :priest:the mtrsport covers can be welded cant they :beerbottl

#9 ·
Okay fitted gear box ,drivers side header & loaded engine into engine bay.I was a bit worried about hooking this stuff up first but all went okay , The usuall swearing ,cursing & bloody knuckles & at one stage was riding on box & engine like a surfboard while son got a crash course in operating a engine crane.Just finished putting on passenger header & tightening up engine mounts.Its a tight fit but I luv it.Yes Reece the moto covers can be welded.

#11 ·
What pipes and mounts are you using? I used a set of the older holley alloy covers i got from one of the guys on this forum.They are tapered on the sides and clear the booster nicely.All in all it is a good conversion.I used a cross flow radiator and moved it as far forward to the rad support as i could.The fan and space fits in fine.

#12 ·
Using tri-ys from castle auto electrics and bought a set of mounts off a bloke not sure what brand.I have a 3core xw radiator but think i will get a aluminium one made & get mounting points welded on for trans cooler & thermo,s. I really think standard tappet covers would have fitted Greg but because I have allready introduced the motocraft ones to Mr Grinder , I will get them welded up.

#13 ·
Hey Reece I got the tappet covers welded up put a threaded cap , 2 -8 fittings & a plate across the back corner cost 120 cash to a local guy & he did it in an hour of dropping it off ,gotta love that.Any who just wanted to let you know that getting to the back nut on cover under booster is a little awkward , but if you have srew in studs for the cover its a lot easier . You can put the nut on the stud & use a ellen key to tighten down just a idea for you.
Dale

#14 ·
Black XW said:
Hey Reece I got the tappet covers welded up put a threaded cap , 2 -8 fittings & a plate across the back corner cost 120 cash to a local guy & he did it in an hour of dropping it off ,gotta love that.Any who just wanted to let you know that getting to the back nut on cover under booster is a little awkward , but if you have srew in studs for the cover its a lot easier . You can put the nut on the stud & use a ellen key to tighten down just a idea for you.
Dale
bargain and not a long mess around either. did you end up putting a c4 in as well.any pics :priest:

#15 ·
Yes , got a bellhousing off ebay & bought a 2nd hand c4 .Gave it greg at all trans at currumbin he checked it and replaced the input shaft with one thats good for 900hp.Its got all the other fruit in it .Will try and post some pics tommorrow.Dale

#16 ·
Black XW said:
Dale
where are you running your breathers to

#24 ·
Black XW said:
No I work away so I,m looking forward to getting home & firing up next week.Collected a few more bits before I left but still have not had any luck with a alternater bracket.
hey black xw try emailing this guy he is at deception bay his name is leigh his email is shorley_furn@froggy.com he is a importer i bought a mtr off him he ads on ebay a fair bit im sure he will have one i dont know how helpful hell be . though worth a try probably not too far for ya

#25 ·
also i dummy fitted my mtr tonight and the mounts i got with the car put the mtr about 20mm further back in the bay then my original set which is better,( i still have the ones from my other car) how close are the back of your heads to firewall,it pushes r/covers further into booster though im thinking of shortening the booster bracket right up as to not cut so much of rockercover, can you also get short snout waterpumps as well.

#26 ·
Mine have a fair bit of room between head and fire wall , I don,t know the measurment but I will get it when I get home for you.Reece one thought , a friend of mine suggested using a different booster .I had to move the front mounting point for the swaybar about 20mm forward to stop the sump hitting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.