Slowly getting there with my mild engine, but have just thought of a problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 16:14   #1 (permalink)

Slowly getting there with my mild engine, but have just thought of a problem

Hi Guys,

As some of you guys are aware, I am putting together a mild 460- 488 stroker for my XY Falcon. I'm very slowly getting there. The bottom end is almost there, just a little bit more machining to do, and I finally got my heads back on Friday and I am in the process of getting them flow tested.

The plan is to use the toploader that I have in the shed, with the 9" that's already in the car (3.0 ratios).

However, It's just dawned on me that I may have a problem running the toploader. I forgot all about the master cylinder in the engine bay. After looking at some pictures of some of the cars that have had the conversion, it appears that the engine will fill the spot where the master cylinder currently sits. I can't believe it didn't dawn on me earlier.

Can anyone please confirm that this may be the case. And if so any suggestions on how I can remedy this problem. Has any one done a XY- 460 conversion and ran a toploader. Can it be done?

I'm suddenly feeling a little stressed out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bill
billk460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 19:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Slowly getting there with my mild engine, but have just thought of a problem

Bill, what sort of rocker covers are you planning on using? If you use the standard stamped steel type, they will allow you more room than the tall alloy covers. I know from my car if I used the stamped steel covers, I could keep the factory brake booster, just not sure on the clutch master cylinder.
I can't give you any other help at the moment as I'm overseas with work. Good luck with it.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:21   #3 (permalink)

Re: Slowly getting there with my mild engine, but have just thought of a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddZC
Bill, what sort of rocker covers are you planning on using? If you use the standard stamped steel type, they will allow you more room than the tall alloy covers. I know from my car if I used the stamped steel covers, I could keep the factory brake booster, just not sure on the clutch master cylinder.
I can't give you any other help at the moment as I'm overseas with work. Good luck with it.
I was originally going to use the factory ones with the "power by ford" stamped on them, but have misplaced one. The plan is to first check if all the valve train, including the alloy roller rockers I have, fits under the std cover then I will try and source another.

Whilst, I like the look of the taller type I figured, as you mentioned above, that it would make the fit easier and be cheaper. I just overlooked the location of the master cylinder.

I may buy those cheap chrome ones from ebay that look a similar shape to the factory ones, if the valve train fits.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:20   #4 (permalink)

Looks pretty tight back there!

Call these guys who should be able to offer some advice.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/

This guy in the US has been really good. There are plenty of customers with 500+ cube motors and all with manual boxes.
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/index.html
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for your input and help.

It appears that I will have to make some mods. I'm led to believe that Wilwood and Tilton have some products that will solve the problem. I have to check out prices etc and make a decision on which way to go with this.

Here's some links on what's available.

http://www.cardwells.co.nz/products....b544f583521dba

http://www.randys-racemart.com/wilformounbr.html

http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmod...g_assembly.jpg

http://www.openwheelers.co.nz/newmod..._cylinders.jpg
Old 06-11-2006, 08:52   #6 (permalink)

There's your typical Ford style master cylinder like this one and the Wilwood ones with their optional remote reservoirs. I assume you'd be looking for the shortest one available. Do you know how much clearance you'll have between the firewall to rocker cover/head?

This one sticks out 3.9" (same as my Ford one)

The Wilwood remote reservoir one sticks out 4.1"

Mounting it under dash looks very nice! but may require some surgery....definitely a good option though. Looks like he's running 2 brake master cylinders and 1 for the clutch.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:15   #7 (permalink)

A floor mounted version for US$94 (looks a little ugly for a Falcon)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CNC-f...QQcmdZViewItem

Or here's some prices on a Wilwood/Tilton pedal assembies and Tilton master cylinder.

Tilton master cylinders for US$72
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...4236QQtcZphoto

Tilton Pedals US$225 (can get single for US$170)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...0160QQtcZphoto

Willwood Pedals US$200
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-W...5057QQtcZphoto

That Randy's Racemart website has some good prices. US$166 for the twin Wilwood setup.
Old 06-11-2006, 16:48   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
There's your typical Ford style master cylinder like this one and the Wilwood ones with their optional remote reservoirs. I assume you'd be looking for the shortest one available. Do you know how much clearance you'll have between the firewall to rocker cover/head?

This one sticks out 3.9" (same as my Ford one)

The Wilwood remote reservoir one sticks out 4.1"

Mounting it under dash looks very nice! but may require some surgery....definitely a good option though. Looks like he's running 2 brake master cylinders and 1 for the clutch.
Hi TruBlu351,

The info I've been given so far is that the idea is that the master cylinder doesn't go in the engine bay at all. It is mounted under the dash and faces towards the back of the car. The kit also includes two brake cylinders (for front and back brakes) and some sort of valve system to adjust front and back brake bias. I think you also do away with the vacuum brake booster which is good if there is little vacuum due to the radical nature of the engine. My engine is going to be mild, so I don't think I'll have a problem there.

I'll need to see how much mucking about is in order to mount the box etc. I'm now in two minds about running the toploader. It looks like too much stress. I only decided to go manual to use what I had. I just did think it through all the way.

We live and learn.........
Old 07-09-2006, 02:17   #9 (permalink)

hey bill hows it going
reece2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 21:39   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece2
hey bill hows it going
Hi Reece and all on the Forum,

I'm finally making some progress on the project.

- I finally got my D3VE Iron heads back a couple of weeks ago from a mate of a mate of mine (he serviced and ported them as a favour from home). He had them for 4 months as he was busy with other family commitments. I got them independantly flowed and they came out sort of OK for my purposes. I don't have the figures in front of me but at 600 lift they flowed 305 cfm on the inlet and 196 cfm on the exhaust. He claims that he could have gone bigger on the inlet but as my main focus is torque, we kept it on the small side.

- We did another trial assembly of the bottom end again on the weekend. Finally its looking good. We had a few issues with the stroker combo as I am using std pin height pistons with shorter rods. I had to do some extra machining of the rods to take the bigger wrist pins and also had to do some clearancing on the crank throws. Its all sorted now.

- This week we will CC the heads, check the compression rato and work out a cam.

- With any luck, the engine will be together within 4 weeks.

- I picked up a C6 off another mate of a mate of mine that had one that was not currently using it. I've given up on the toploader as its too much mucking about for a streeter. It's at an automatic shop getting checked out before I buy it. It is claimed that it can hande 800 HP.

- This weekend I'll finish off preping the manifold and look doing some minor modifications to the CAE extractors I received a little while back.

- In amongst all that I need to renew the Rego on the XY as it is up for renewal.

It's taking some time, but I'm getting there slowly.

Cheers.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech