What the heck is the snout? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 08:58   #1 (permalink)

What the heck is the snout?

Thanks in advance for this help. I'm setting the timing on my bone stock '89 EFI 460 (California) in a F-350...the labels in the truck's engine compartment use the word "snout". What the heck is the snout?

The instructions say to disconnect the electrical connection at the "snout", then set the timing. There is a tiny pictorial representation of the snout on the label and it just looks like a small pull-apart coupling. There is no vacuum advance...but there is a good sized six wire connector attached to the distributor body where the advance springs would normally reside. If I disconnect this electrical connector at the distributor...the engine won't start!?

Thanks again. Dave
dave ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 09:16   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: What the heck is the snout?

It's "SPOUT" not "SNOUT" I think. If so it's the plug on the lead going to the TFI module on the distributor that need to be disconnected to get base timing. On the 460 it should be next to Left Hood hinge.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:41   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue
It's "SPOUT" not "SNOUT" I think. If so it's the plug on the lead going to the TFI module on the distributor that need to be disconnected to get base timing. On the 460 it should be next to Left Hood hinge.
You're right...it is the "spout". I suppose it was such an unusual word to be dealing with the issue of timing, I got confused...so what's new? Thanks and good catch.

Just a follow-up...since the two connectors at the distributor are both multi-wired, are you saying the spout is to be disconnected at the TFI module...like one or two wires only?

Thanks again. Dave
Old 10-01-2006, 21:38   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

No don't disconnect the TFI plug. There should be a separate two wire square ended SPOUT disconnect plug sticking out of the harness a few inches before it goes into the TFI plug. Feel around it might be hidden under the harness. There is a murkey pic of it here http://rogueperformance.com/Timing.html and another here http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...=48304&width=0 and here
Old 10-08-2006, 20:22   #5 (permalink)

Smile Re: What the heck is the snout?

Blue, not only did your advice and picture help...I even passed my smog test on the first try...in California no less... '89 F350 dually with 192,000 miles on the engine. Whew!

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 10-09-2006, 02:02   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
I even passed my smog test on the first try...in California no less... '89 F350 dually with 192,000 miles on the engine.
congratulations it sound like you well tuned it.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech