Where to get 429 head porting info? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006, 06:34   #1 (permalink)

Where to get 429 head porting info?

Anyone know of a good book or a site on the web that has info describing how to grind/port the exhaust passages on a set of DOVE-C 429 heads? I want to work on mine before I put the engine back together and info from someone that has a flow bench and has already done this and figured out what works would be really helpful.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: Where to get 429 head porting info?

We offer ported factory iron heads a la C8VE, C9VE D0VE & D3VE.

If you wish to port yourself, then I strongly recommend that you research heavily. The factory 429/460 exhaust port requires lots of attention, but exactly what you grind on/how you recontour the port may be very different than what you may think.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and thus there are different porting techniques. Ideally, each motor build should have porting that is done specifcally for that build.

If you insist on porting yourself and wish to study one way to port heads, then I suggest paying the subscription fee in order to gain access to the following site about head proting:

Re-In-"Car"-nation High Performance and Automotive Repair/index

Be prepared to spend some good money on quality porting tools, including a very big compressor, 3/8" hose, a quality die grinder and a wide, wide section of various carbide cutting bits, grinding stones and sanding barrels. (each of which have their place in a fully modified/refined port). All the proper bits by themselves will cost a few hundred. Finally, have a spare (damaged/throw away) head that you can practice on, because it takes lots of experience and knowing where you may hit a water jacket, etc.

Or for about the same amount of money, you can leave it to a professional.

Good luck,

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 14:48   #3 (permalink)

Re: Where to get 429 head porting info?

I already have all of the tools--7.5hp IR compressor--24 CFM at 175psi with aftercooler, IR 308 die grinder and all the grinding/sanding attachments. If for some reason my compressor proves not to be enough, I can bring one of the IR P-185 Diesel compressors home from work! (I work in Development Engineering at IR where we design/build all the Diesel compressors)
I have done some head porting in the past with help from some friends that did it professionally. Thanks for the information on the website--that is exactly what I was looking for. I like their idea of sending them a head and they do one port for you, then you just copy it to the rest.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > 429-460 Tech