1966 Ford Mustang Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 13:43   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 1966 Ford Mustang Help

This is the first car that I have owned that is worth the time and effort to restore and learn how to do anything passed general maintenance. The car is a 1966 Ford Mustang, Auto, V8 289, and the ONLY modifications to the car thus far is a Detroit Locker rear end with 3:73 gears and wider mag tires. This will be my first exploration into doing any type of engine work to the car and am just looking for a place to start learning. The previous owner put $4,500 into the body work and paint (and the rear end?) and $1,500 into the interior so everything looks brand new but the engine needs to be fully rebuilt. I have found someone to help rebuild the engine for a fair price considering I gratefully got the car for only $3,000. For now my plan is to keep the 289 rather then trying something faster due to medical bills soon to come. Although I have somebody doing most of the interior engine work I would still like to understand what is going on and options I have to make the car faster, more efficient, better quality, price, ect. Not knowing much of anything I'm at a loss for where to start! I also am assuming the gas mileage is going to suck no matter what I do so I might as well make it somewhat faster. The only parts I have thus far as a option is a edelbrock 4 barrel carburetor and intake manifold that was given to me with the car. I also purchased just some little things ( water pump, hoses, plugs, wires. ) I would definitely appreciate any links, knowledge, or opinions!! Thank you in advance for your help.
Here are some pictures of it.. before I cleaned it
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...d/100_1649.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ted/Stang4.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ted/Stang1.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ted/Stang3.jpg
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ted/Stang2.jpg
Sirtwisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
66 Mustang 351C

Re: 1966 Ford Mustang Help

Have you had an experienced body man who understands vintage Mustangs look at the car yet? At 3 grand, you stole it but it could possibly need thousands more in the frame rails, floors, rockers etc. In any event, you have most likely found a great buy. It would be worth checking the vin number on the car and also the engine casting numbers to see what's what as far as original. If all seems to be original a restoration might be a considered option.

If you feel that isn't important you could likely rebuild the engine with mild cam, intake, carb and exhaust mods for under $3,000.00 or you could choose a more serious engine rebuild and mods which would require additional frame and suspension mods, transmission mods, and higher stall converter. You could easily spend $8,000.00 and up going that route.

Best bet would be to find a 289/302 message board where vintage and late model Mustang owners would abound.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:28   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1966 Ford Mustang Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks View Post
Have you had an experienced body man who understands vintage Mustangs look at the car yet? At 3 grand, you stole it but it could possibly need thousands more in the frame rails, floors, rockers etc. In any event, you have most likely found a great buy. It would be worth checking the vin number on the car and also the engine casting numbers to see what's what as far as original. If all seems to be original a restoration might be a considered option.

If you feel that isn't important you could likely rebuild the engine with mild cam, intake, carb and exhaust mods for under $3,000.00 or you could choose a more serious engine rebuild and mods which would require additional frame and suspension mods, transmission mods, and higher stall converter. You could easily spend $8,000.00 and up going that route.

Best bet would be to find a 289/302 message board where vintage and late model Mustang owners would abound.
I agree. Try allfordmustang.com and vintagemustang.com and there is moddmustang.com . Good infor on modding. If it a 200 CID I6, try fordsix.com. Great six shooter there.
RagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs