351c dilemma - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13   #1 (permalink)

351c dilemma

I have a 67 coupe that I am putting back together, but I don't want to go any farther until I decide on the engine /drivetrain combo. I have a 351c in the garage that needs to be rebuilt. I am trying to decide if I should put it back together as a 351, a 408 stroker, or just buy a crate 302. Any suggestions or tips would be very welcome.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: 351c dilemma

Hi Mike. Is the car just a project for street driving/cruising or a weekend racer. The 351 Cleveland is quite a large bulky and heavy engine and I think will be a tight squeeze in a 67 so it might pay to get the tape measure and see how well it fits between the shock towers and what room you have to work.

If money isnt a problem then I would go with the crate 302. There are some nice crate engines available and you can choose the level of power you want depending on your use and of course its all shiny new and ready to go.

Thats just my opinion but some people will like the idea of building their own engine and doing something thats different and to their tastes.
Old 02-23-2013, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Critical question, daily driver? Makes a world of difference on your power train and how you want it to respond. A 302 build is more economical in the long run and it can be built to punch out 400 horses.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:53   #4 (permalink)

351c dilemma

I isn't going to be a daily driver, but it also isn't going to be attack car. I want to build one that is usable on the road, but also won't break the bank on the build.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

You'll probably find the 302's easier on the wallet, and if you restomod with a 5.0EFI, you'll get a little better gas mileage with the added performance.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs