66 289 Engine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 22:13   #1 (permalink)

66 289 Engine

I am a novice here, as my son & I are looking for a mustang daily driver, but here is my question...

Found a partially restored, low/no rust vehicle with a remanufactured [Jasper] 289. CAr has rebuilt supension, etc, and has original pony interior.

My question, does the fact that engine is a "remanufactured" 289, versus the original or a rebuild significantly impact the value of the car as I look to purchase. Again, car is not show grade nor are we aiming for that in near future
rinserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 08:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 66 289 Engine

Remanufactured, is a poofters/politically correct/glamorous term for Rebuilt.

Is it a correct engine? take out the starter motor, and there is a factory part number. First letter should be C for 1960 Decade. Next should be a 5 or 6. This represents the year in that decade. IF the car is an early 66 build (or late 65...as you yanks run ahead) then you should expect to see C5XX-XXXX. C6XX-XXXX would also be acceptable for you model year..

This sort of detail however is really only going to affect you if the car is something super special.... Documented GT. K-Code, Number 1 shelby :LOL:

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59   #3 (permalink)

yes, it affects the value, but for a driver, having a non-original engine can often be a good thing since it will be more reliable and you won't be worried about driving it and hurting its value.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:12   #4 (permalink)

Keep in mind,
that in 1966 there was no such thing as an engine number. If you manage to secure a date correct block, then NO-ONE could ever say the engine had been changed (except those that helped you)

ITs very much like the fact there are more 65/66 GT's around now than were ever produced.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

The majority of classics sold had I6 motors, but if you pick up the guide, it only has info on the V8 motors. You have to go out and buy the I6 manual seperate. For a DD, the rebuilt motor will be better as it holds a lower chance of anything breaking on you. The "upgraded" suspension is also good, but depending all upon what you mean by upgraded. For a DD, I would also reccommend that you at least convert the front to disc brakes (if they haven't been already) and if you have the time, extra money and really want to be safe, convert the rear to disc too. If you need more info on the disc swap, lemme know and I'll give you a link to my friends site.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs