Ford Forums banner

66 mustang 200 i6 gauge help

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  FordSmallBlock 
#1 ·
I just bought a 66 mustang with a 200 i6 3 speed and i love it,but my one little problem is the gauges i cannot get the fuel gauge to read correctly i traced the wiring it is all original and is wired correctly i put gas in the tank (the gas tank is brand new ) and was installed by the previous owner at one point i had it reading 3/4 of a tank when the key was turned but the car not running but when i started the car it went past full it quit doing that and now when the car is turned on it reads just beyond the letter E and after a second goes back to below the letter E i say that cause its not at the empty line its below the E im clueless my oil temp gauge works corrwectly and my water temp gauge works correctly my amp gauge doesnt move at all it sits dead in the middle if anyone could help with this problem please do i have racked my brain and searched every site i can find with no help and one other thing when i put a simple wire tester "the one with the ground and it lights up" it flashes when the key is turned on when i place it on the back of the gauges where the wires go on all but the oil temp gauge im unsure if thats normal but i have never seen it do that and have no clue what it means !!!please help!!! and thanx

#2 ·
Hi there fordsmallblock. It is quite possilble that the fuel sending unit may not be working correctly. I think this is at the front of the fuel tank ,or maybe on top if your unlucky ,and you will see the fuel line and a wire coming from this unit. If you remove this wire and ground it the vehicle with the ignition on then the fuel gauge should rise to the full mark.Be aware DO NOT ground this near any fuel or fuel vapours as a spark could be deadly. You are best to ground it away from the tank area if the wire will move or attach a longer wire with a clip so you are away from the tank and while the wire is grounded the gauge will rise. Be sure you have a clean peice of steel to ground to so there is a good connection.If you are sure it has been grounded properly and if the gauge dose not respond then it may be the gauge itself at fault if fuses and wiring etc have been ruled out.

#4 ·
I'm almost sure it will be the sending unit. You will need to drain the tank down below the level of the unit by either syphoning the fuel out or by driving the car, but you may run out of fuel with the gauge not working lol. Usually there is a locking type ring that secures the sender in the tank but the method varies. There will also be a seal that you should replace with the sender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.