66 Stang - Holley Carburetor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2001, 09:29   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Question

I currently have a Holley Carburetor on my 66 Mustang. I have a 289 engine bored out to 302. The Holley that is on there is pushing 750 CFM through the engine and is pushing to much fuel and and I need a smaller one. The guy I bought the car from thought that the bigger the carburetor the better.... Anyway, I was told to put a 600 CFM on there, but I was curious if anybody has any suggestions or ideas on the proper size to put on there. Also, does anybody have any tips on "tuning" the performance of the carburetor? Thanks!

*** UPDATE *****
Just looked it up and relized I have a 600 CFM on there. This one:

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...C/0-1850S.html

Anyway, I'd still like to know what I should put on there. THANKS
ibjhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2001, 11:50   #2 (permalink)
mfp4073

Smile

Well good news, if I understand you have that holley 600 vac secondaries. Unless you have a built up engine and need more "response" out of your motor, that is pretty much the best carb for your pony! You get the advantage of a 4bbl carb (power and flow), with the advantage of a 2bbl (economy). The vac secondaries close down when there is not a lot of vac sensed by the motor, ie just cruising along. But when you hit the gas (and create vacuum in the intake) the secondaries open up! The advantage of a mechanical advance secondary is that you get intant response, but in most applications you won't ever notice the differnce!:p
Old 04-23-2001, 10:58   #3 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

exactly.

now, i have some mods on my 289, which is why i chose the 4150 series carb (the 650cfm double-pumper).

good choice! that carb will service your engine proudly for lots of miles.

:thumbup:
Old 04-23-2001, 22:02   #4 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Yeah, took it to the ford guy. Figured out it was the vacuum advance. Fixed it perfect. It runs great now. I think it's going to be too much money and time to put this car back to all stock. I'm looking at going "Mod" with it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to the engine and/or car to accomplish this? ANYTHING would be of help.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:27   #5 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

Mods?

How fast you want to go depends somewhat on how much your willing to spend.

http://www.superford.org/cgi-bin/sf....&vr2=1&ID=2215
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystang!.jpg (35.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 05-05-2001, 07:54   #6 (permalink)
mfp4073

The first couple of places to go from here are as follows:

$300 +/-
Headers/ dual exhaust. Flowmaster 3 chamber seem to be everyones favorite, but a stock transversal setup will get you an improvement without as much noise.

$180 plus time or installation.
Rear end gear. 3.25 or 3.50. I have 3.89 in mine and feel its a little steep for day to day use. Remember, the higher you go, the faster it will get you started/out of the hole and more snap in your neck, but top end starts to get rougher. I run 4000 rpm at 80mph (try that for 8 hours on a roadtrip)!

$100 plus time If you don't have one already, pick up an aluminum highrise manifold. You will have to do the research on if you want a dual or single plane (I just got a cobra highrise manifold $325)

These upgrades will give you the first step and the most bang for your buck. Prices are just estimates, but are pretty close to what you will spend. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2001, 23:28   #7 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

I've already got dual exhaust on the car. It's a true dual exhaust and not one of these split at the back things. Remember, I have the original 66 Mustang engine in there, so I'm not sure as to some of these...

Per the rear end gear... I'm not sure what I have on there. The guy I bought the car from was looking to mod up the car as it is... I have dual glass-packs on there, a 4 brl 600 CFM Holley, I think I have a new (custom?) intake manifold.

What type of enigne do you have in your car? I've seen some people (I have pictures I think) put 2000 Cobra Mustang engines in their 66 Mustang body.

Any other ideas? :)

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by mfp4073
The first couple of places to go from here are as follows:

$300 +/-
Headers/ dual exhaust. Flowmaster 3 chamber seem to be everyones favorite, but a stock transversal setup will get you an improvement without as much noise.

$180 plus time or installation.
Rear end gear. 3.25 or 3.50. I have 3.89 in mine and feel its a little steep for day to day use. Remember, the higher you go, the faster it will get you started/out of the hole and more snap in your neck, but top end starts to get rougher. I run 4000 rpm at 80mph (try that for 8 hours on a roadtrip)!

$100 plus time If you don't have one already, pick up an aluminum highrise manifold. You will have to do the research on if you want a dual or single plane (I just got a cobra highrise manifold $325)

These upgrades will give you the first step and the most bang for your buck. Prices are just estimates, but are pretty close to what you will spend. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2001, 08:26   #8 (permalink)
mfp4073

Lets see here now. You have a lot of places you could go from here. Obviously putting a new motor in would get you a lot! But that is an undertaking that I don't know if you are into. Think about some of these things:

High flow airfilter setup
upgraded clutch (10.5 inch performance setup)
traction bars/under ride bars
export brace, monte carlo bar
hurst shifter
shift kit and etc(I don't know much about autos on these)
driveshaft loop (not good for performance, but good to keep you safe)
upgraded ignition, coil, plug wires( pertronix,msd drop in probillit, etc)
IGNORE THE SPLITFIRE AND QUAD POINT PLUGS they are a scam.
If you are really looking for performance you may wish to replace that 600 vac sec holley with a double pump. (my car is now chirping 3rd without clutching it, something that would not be possible with the vac secondaries.)

If you want to go into the engine I don't know where to tell you to start. It is going to make a big difference on what direction to head depending on what you want to do with the car, how much you want to spend, and what kind of time/skill constraints you have. I will try to think of some more.
Old 05-09-2001, 00:07   #9 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

I would highly recommend starting with a package like the Edelbrock Performer or RPM Performer. They include carb, cam, intake and heads all matched up, for optimum performance after years of research. Visit them at www.edelbrock.com. Your other option is to start at the back end and work forward. Adding HP is great but if you can't get it to the pavement, it does you no good. I have done a restomod ground up 65 Coupe, a 65 FB (drag only) and now have been busy with a 68 FB. The 65 FB produced 429 HP naturally aspirated and with a 200 HP shot, delivered thru a Wilson Manifolds plate system made 629 HP and ran a best of 10.09 at 131.47. Small block Fords are real difficult when it comes to N2O...primarely due the the intake runner configuration, and lean outs are common, especially on the number one hole.

Have included a shot of the 65...302, stock block and crank..2 bolt mains.

ron
ro514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 04:22   #10 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Great thread guys. I am glad to see the stang area coming alive.
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs