78 mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 15:24   #1 (permalink)
That guy

Question 78 mustang

Was a 1978 mustang come in a shelby or fastback option? I know cobra was optioned along with notchback. Also did they come with 4 lug 13s for shelby? I thought they were 5 lug 14s or 15s. Also was a V8 standard for all shelbys? Thanks for any info.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: 78 mustang

No Shelby in the 78 model BlueSteel but there was a Cobra model and a Mach 1. The body shell wasn't referred to as a fastback but there was a 2dr hardtop and a hatchback shell. The car still had a fastback look to it. I think the 78 came with 4 lug wheels but not sure of the size. V8's were standard on the Shelby Mustangs which ran from 65 to 71.
Old 12-03-2004, 18:07   #3 (permalink)
That guy

Okay. A friend told me they have a 78 shelby mustang with a 4 lug 13s and a V6. It just didn't add up to me. I'll have to talk to them soon. I may have misheard her. I thought shelby ended some where in the early 70s. Shelby was a great car. The new shelby mustangs lack some of style of the old one. Maybe I'm just old school. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2004, 17:06   #4 (permalink)
That guy

I talked to them again and they say its a 1978 Shelby custom that ford only made about 350 or so. I can not find any info on that in my books, manuals, brochures, and a few mustang guys around here. Maybe a secret underworld ford orgnization making ford 78 shelbys? I'm really confused. They did show a picture and it is a 78 but says shalby on the motor, fenders, dash, and steering wheel. Might they be patch in and the guy that sold them the car was lying?

Old 12-06-2004, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Hey I'll check it out some more . Maybe there are some models that weren't publicised much.
Old 12-06-2004, 21:06   #6 (permalink)
That guy

I was told about 5 mins ago that shelby lived to 1986 under the name Shelby Cobra. It was just Shelby to 1971. I'm still trying to figure this out. I have 4 big ford books that go 1893-2004 and none state this or show any pictures. I blame ford for my insanity!!

Old 12-06-2004, 21:14   #7 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I checked the Shelby world registry which lists every single shelby vehicle made including the AC Cobra's and GT40's and the last known owner for each one and there is no mention of a 78 model.

Unless someone else can shed some light on this then I doubt there is a genuine 78 Shelby model.

They most probably have a Cobra Mustang which was a model put out by Ford. Ford brought the rights to the Cobra name off Shelby and then used it on some Ford vehicles and I can only guess this is what they have.

These were not made by Shelby and would not be considered a "Shelby" Mustang. Genuine Shelbys have a VIN or body plate specific to the Shelby workshop so if it has one of these then perhaps we can search out some more info. There are sometimes other plates such as "Custom Crafted by Shelby Automotive Inc" .
Old 12-08-2004, 12:02   #8 (permalink)
That guy

cool Re: 78 mustang

I just found out today. There is no way there is a 78 shelby. In 78 shelby was working with chreystler. Also 78 was the mustang 2 I think. It would be really sweet if a mustang 2 was a true shelby, I like the kits I've seen. But it not true for the guy that has the car. Thanks for all your help.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:38   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

No problem. I hope the guy with the 78 isn't too dissapointed.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:58   #10 (permalink)
Mustang/Cougar Member

I believe there were later assembled Shelby's that were completed some time in the late 80's early 90's. However, they were the sixties style not a 78 model Mustang. The person is refering to a Mustang Cobra. Nothing to do with Shelby at that time.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs