Engine no' where is it - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 13:57   #1 (permalink)

Engine no' where is it

Hi guys,
I've spent almost three hours today trying to find the engine no on a Mustang MachI 69 windsor. previous owner advised somewhere on side of block but no luck! Registration papers indicate no as 9F02H29803 but I can not see this no on the engine. The Vin no appears to be 6F0214219803. Is this matching no's? The only no I managed to get is a casting no next to starter motor D2AE-6015-BA-13 and also below it 3K25. Can anyone tell me what this mean. I eventually found a stamped no at the left rear of the block 4B133878. Is this pehaps the engine no or am I missing it and where did the previous owner get no 9F...no if the engine was never changed?
Thanks for any input
Dan
daanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2005, 04:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine no' where is it

Dan, Im sure others will give you more complete info but from what you have posted, 9F02H29803 is the VIN and is broken down as follows
9 = 1969
F = Dearborn (assy plant)
02 = fastback
H = 351 - 2V
290803 = consecutive unit number.

The engine number did NOT match the VIN from the factory. A matching numbers claim in your case would be true if the car still has a 351 - 2V engine, and of course the correct drive train and trim as per your data plate.
IMO the engine number is probably the stamped number you have found at the rear of the block.
I have generally found the engine number for Windsor's on a flat machined area at the rear of the block just behind the intake manifold.
Sorry dont have all the info on the casting numbers but here goes
D2 = 1972
A = Full size Ford
E = Engine division

after this someone else will have to help.
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 14:26   #3 (permalink)

Hi nassi
thx for info it explains a lot. The previous owner confirms that engine was 2V config but was modified to 4V at time of overhauling engine and restoration of car. The engine no on registration docs could be a misprint as there is no other no except the one at the back of the block as per your confirmation. Just a question- how does the 351 4Vwindsor engine compare to the 351 4Vcleveland engine as to performance. I was under the impression windsor motors were mainly used in trucks?
Dan
daanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:34   #4 (permalink)

Dan thats a can of worms I am not qualified to or prepared to open.
Ford Australia settled for the Cleaveland, so I can only assume they felt it was more powerfull or easier to squeeze more power from. Sorry mate not much help.
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 19:10   #5 (permalink)

The Clevelands and the Windsors were used in many passenger vehicles. The Cleveland was the performance motor because of the head design. The Cleveland heads were redesigned in 1974 to meet new emissions regulations and took on the "Modified" designation (351M).

The Windsor was used in a huge variety of cars for a long time. It was also used in trucks. The 351M was also used in cars and trucks. I can't remember off the top of my head when they went oout of production but the Windsors are still deep on the ground here in the US.

The two engines were described as "interchangeable" in the Chilton's manual (A popular repair authority, though more dependable and informative in earlier years).

I don't have my manual handy to give you power spec's. I'll do that when I get home from work.

Steve
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 17:07   #6 (permalink)

Ok, for 1972 they were both rated at 164 HP and 276 ft. lbs. of torque. This was when engines just started being rated in net power instead of gross (as of 1971). THe 4 bbl 351C was 266 HP and 301 TQ.

1973 the manual makes no distinction between C and W, rated 2 bbl 164 HP and 276 TQ.

1974 351W 2 bbl 162 HP 275 TQ. , 351C 2 bbl 163 HP 278 TQ , 4 bbl 255 HP 290 TQ.

Steve
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs