Fuel mix for a 1966 Mustang HI PO 289 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 11:36   #1 (permalink)

Question Fuel mix for a 1966 Mustang HI PO 289

What is the best fuel octane / mix for a 66 Mustang with a 289 HiPerformance engine.

I was told to use Sunoco 94 octane + octane boost + no lead substitute.

Any other recommendations?
rinderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 09:39   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed

Re: Fuel mix for a 1966 Mustang HI PO 289

I would think it all depends on the compression ratio. I would also think that the shop that did the engine work or sold you the parts would be of some help. You mite try some aviation fuel mixed 50/50 with pump gas. Avgas is over 100 octaine. I dont think you need leaded gas cause your valves more than likly have been upgraded.
KeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 07:04   #3 (permalink)

Re: Fuel mix for a 1966 Mustang HI PO 289

Octane requirement is solely based on compression ratio. What is your CR? Octane level required is to prevent knocking.

Also, if the heads have been reworked it is possible they have hardened exhaust seats already and you don't have to worry about burning up a valve. If you have aftermarket heads, not sure how it is in Oz, but in the states there is no worry at all.

Don't waste your money on octane boosters. They can only raise octane by less than 1 whole number. When they advertise "...will boost octane by 3 points..." they mean by .3 , not going from 94 octane to 97 octane, but from 94 octane to 94.3 octane. Just buy gas in the octane you need for your compression.

Steve
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs