Help, should I attempt... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 10:54   #1 (permalink)

Help, should I attempt...

Hello,

This is my first post. Here's the overall idea I want to attempt and a little background. Alright I am lookin into getting a 68-69 Fastback. Now here's where I am in the dark. First, I have never restored a car before, second, I don't plan on fully restoring like 30k+ I'm lookin to build a decent daily driver that I can work on here and there. I actually work at a Ford Dealer in the parts department, so I've made some connections with a few people, so I'm not worried bout sheet metal. My main concern is what am I gettin myself into, is there like a guide to all of this? What should I prepare, how much should I look into spending?...I know it sounds stupid and the usual rule of thumb is if you have to ask it's too much. But I'm just trying to get my foot in the door. I have always wanted to get a Fastback and just make it run and have fun with it, just never really knew what to do. What code is the best to go with, etc? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Will
DelayedTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 16:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help, should I attempt...

After talkin to some guys at work, I would put in a 351W...other then that...again stuck at the drawing boards, I'm not lookin to make the car all that pretty to begin with, just make it run, then from there I'll slowly build it up...
Old 09-07-2006, 07:17   #3 (permalink)

G'day,
i guess it depends...restomodding is a personal thing.
You could just go nuts and do what ever you want, or you could follow the original build sheet and build the car with that as a basis, adding go fast bits to suit you.

As an example, if it was a windsor car, then stick with that, mod the internals, GT40 heads, manifold etc, or if its a clevo car, use that, and do the same, but maybe opt for the aussie heads.

It really depends on how much you wanna spend, and what YOU the owner likes.....youwill get plenty of blokes knocking you, and plenty wanting your ideas.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:42   #4 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

Well, first good luck with your search. I'm also looking for a 69 FB and those are like gold, very hard to find unless you have some money to throw at them.

The 351 is a great motor for those. You can stroke it to 408ci and run 430hp/tq no prob all motor. really your project is only subject to the boundries of your wallet first and your wishes second. do whatever to your car as you feel comfortable with and whatever makes you happy above all. Everyone will have their own opinion of your car one way or another so I have found the best way to resto the interior/exterior is to your liking and when it comes to motor/trans work, figure out where you will be doing the majority of your driving. If you are going to want a DD, leave it as a stock 351 to save a little on gas, if you want a quick little after work run-a-bout, stroke it out and throw in a 5 speed. If you want a weekend track monster, find a 460ci or 490ci and some spray. GL with everything and keep us posted.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 14:04   #5 (permalink)

Forgot to sign in when I replied, lol. I've heard rumors of a company in Cali buying up 68-70 FB's to make Eleanor clones...any truth to this? Anybody hear anything? It's making it a wee bit difficult to find a cheap body anywhere, lol. I think I've got a basic plan I want. 351 mated with a 5 speed. Ironically I think I'll be able to pick up the 351 before the actual body. A few of the guys I work with have 351's sitting in there garages, so I'm gonna take a look at them and get a general idea of what I'm getting myself into. I'm trying to keep cost down, so maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:48   #6 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
Forgot to sign in when I replied, lol. I've heard rumors of a company in Cali buying up 68-70 FB's to make Eleanor clones...any truth to this? Anybody hear anything? It's making it a wee bit difficult to find a cheap body anywhere, lol. I think I've got a basic plan I want. 351 mated with a 5 speed. Ironically I think I'll be able to pick up the 351 before the actual body. A few of the guys I work with have 351's sitting in there garages, so I'm gonna take a look at them and get a general idea of what I'm getting myself into. I'm trying to keep cost down, so maybe I'll get lucky.
Yeah, there is a company buying 67-68 FB's to make clones out of them. I hate the idea because it takes away from the original car. The Elanor was sought after cause an original car is hard to find. Granted all of these clones are worthless in my books. It also takes away from people who wanna restore them to factory specs or resto mod them to be truely unique cars.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:26   #7 (permalink)

My 2 cents, look for rot under the car. Frame rails, torque boxes, floor pans, etc. Rust can not only eat away your car, but your wallet as well. If you have a solid body car with solid underneath, it is worth your investment to restore to original or close to it. If you ever decide to sell, you will get more for a restored original than a restomod.
superdave1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs