LHD to RHD conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44   #1 (permalink)

LHD to RHD conversion

Hi there, this is more for Australian Mustang owners. I am wondering about what is involved in a do-it-yourself LHD/RHD conversion for a mustang. I know I can get it done through a shop but I am thinking of tackling it myself. Does anyone know what is needed to be done and how to do it etc, or better still have any plans showing what is done. Any info would be appreciated.

Danno
EB_Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 06:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: LHD to RHD conversion

Well,
first of all, you need to specify the year of stang you wish to convert.
Second, this is NOT a job for the DIY handyman. There is a damm lot of work, sectioning the firewall, building a new pedal box, making brackets for accelerator cables etc, and if its a manual!!!!....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, then add brake lines, hand brake cables etc

Third, is the Engineers certificate. Pain in the arse if you aren't qualified, or doing them all the time...and if you goto an engineer who isn't familiar with stang conversions.

I am a panel beater, and am HEAVILY involved in mustangs. I stick to what i know best, and thats structural repairs/restoration. I leave the conversions to the guys that know how! They have all offered to teach me, lord knows there is plenty of work available in this area), but i decline because i have enough on with out a job that requires such a LARGE increase in my knowledge base.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:56   #3 (permalink)

Hmmmm. thats all I needed to know. Cheers Jas. I havent got a mustang yet. Just doing alot of research before I buy, while increasing the funds. Sounds like, if I do end up getting a car, that I'll keep it LHD. I would rather spend money on other bits and pieces, than cutting up a classic. Cheers for your input Jas.

Danno
EB_Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:32   #4 (permalink)

hi eb danno i have done quite a few mustang conversions ,models 64to 70
the amount of work to be done is major surgery,and if your engineering dept,in nsw are as strict as they are in melb .let the fun begin
honestly if you decide to do it when the time comes let me know and i can guide you through it ,
it looks harder than what it is ,,,,,,or you can pay roughly 5 grand drive in drive out fully certified with engineering reports that will allow you to register her in any state in australia .............cheers glenn
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:59   #5 (permalink)

Unless its a late model car leave it left hand drive. The laws here in Australia in relation to left hand drive cars hark back to WW2 and where put in place to prevent cheap surplus cars/trucks messing the economy. They have nothing to do with safety. Leave the car LHD.

Steve
Pine N Lime XC 5.8 GS Fairmont Wagon,
Apollo Blue 75 ZG Fairlane 50th Anniversary.
Brooklands Green 83 Capri Mk3 2.8i
Green EL Fairmont Ghia (The wifes).
Black BA XR6 Ute
Fordson Super Major Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta Tractor
Ford D1211 tray truck
Yes, I like Fords.
jg66me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 19:05   #6 (permalink)
XA Falcon Fiend!

And those laws always seem to be changing - for instance - you can now legally drive your LHD drive car here in WA, without the need for "LHD Stickers" or an annual inspection anymore. i'd suggest you have a perve through the newly formed "National Code of Practice" regs, as these are the most current guidelines:

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s.../vsb_ncop.aspx
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs