Looking at a 1970 fastback - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59   #1 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Looking at a 1970 fastback

Hi Guys, looking at a 1970 Mustang Fastback at the moment. The body has no rust so far and is very tidy and straight. It was imported last year by a personal importer, but has never been registered in OZ. Not sure if this is a concern or not. Car is still LHD as well.

It's not a Mach 1 and was originally a 302 Windsor. It's now has a 351 4V Windsor with a 3 speed manual ?? and 9 inch diff. The owner claims she drives sweet and is asking around $30k for her as is. She does need some work in the detailing department, new wheels/tyres, a toploader/clutch and maybe a paint job in a few years time. Interior is tidy, but not immaculate.

This is the first American car I have purchased so I'm a little green. Any owners that have done this before, your advice would be welcome. The owner claims as the car is stock it should classify for club registration, but if the engine is not the original one (or the gearbox) then that may become an issue.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 18:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Looking at a 1970 fastback

CDAA,

I have a 66 Mustang which i changed rego over from Vic to NSW. I had to put seatbelts in the backseat, put in a proportional valve for the brakes and change over my windscreen wipers (had RHD drive conversion but wipers were not previously done). I assume rego will be a bit tougher on an import that has not been registered here.

A bit concerned about the price of this mustang though. 30k is a bit rich for a stock (non mach 1) 1970 mustang that needs some cosmetics and a paint job in a few years. Check out carsales.com.au @ carpoint.ninemsn.com.au for a few examples. From memory there was a nice 1970 fastback in SA in vgc for low 20k.

Good luck with your searching.
Nuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 20:54   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuutz
CDAA,

I have a 66 Mustang which i changed rego over from Vic to NSW. I had to put seatbelts in the backseat, put in a proportional valve for the brakes and change over my windscreen wipers (had RHD drive conversion but wipers were not previously done). I assume rego will be a bit tougher on an import that has not been registered here.

A bit concerned about the price of this mustang though. 30k is a bit rich for a stock (non mach 1) 1970 mustang that needs some cosmetics and a paint job in a few years. Check out carsales.com.au @ carpoint.ninemsn.com.au for a few examples. From memory there was a nice 1970 fastback in SA in vgc for low 20k.

Good luck with your searching.
Nuutz, thanks for your input. Im' actually looking at that low $20k Mustang, but the owner wishes to swap it for my RZ supra TT which owes me over $30k, hence why I'm stating the Mustang will cost me $30k if I did this. I agree that $30k to too much for this car in average condition, so I think I either buy it outright or not at all. I actually saw the car in the flesh this morning and its mechanically sound, but the body is quite average. For me to drive it the way I want to initially, it would need another $15k spent on it (RHD converstion, interior tidy up, Wheels/tyres, SA Registration, Gearbox converstion to with auto or a toploader, paint/panel work).

I must admit it did sound nice!!

Old 06-28-2005, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Hi Guys, looking at a 1970 Mustang Fastback at the moment. The body has no rust so far and is very tidy and straight. It was imported last year by a personal importer, but has never been registered in OZ. Not sure if this is a concern or not. Car is still LHD as well.

It's not a Mach 1 and was originally a 302 Windsor. It's now has a 351 4V Windsor with a 3 speed manual ?? and 9 inch diff. The owner claims she drives sweet and is asking around $30k for her as is. She does need some work in the detailing department, new wheels/tyres, a toploader/clutch and maybe a paint job in a few years time. Interior is tidy, but not immaculate.

This is the first American car I have purchased so I'm a little green. Any owners that have done this before, your advice would be welcome. The owner claims as the car is stock it should classify for club registration, but if the engine is not the original one (or the gearbox) then that may become an issue.

It may be a 3 speed toploader. A friend has one in his 302w 69fastback. Apparently sought after by some as they are good for drag racing. (less gears to change through.) My father has two muzzy's a 66coupe and 69sports roof. Some which are brought in for parts cars only are unregistable, they need to be brought in the right way. Probably best to speak to somebody who imports them to find out what is needed. 30grand seems a little steep, for an unregistered car which needs work but then i haven't seen the car. And the prices have really gone up alot over the last few years, since we purchased ours.

EDIT: Sorry just read your last post about swapping the supra and that the cars in the low 20's or something.
Old 07-11-2005, 21:19   #5 (permalink)

CDAA

Anything developed yet with the stang? If not check out these options in the July issue of Just Cars:

Page 74 - 1966 Mustang Coupe, 4 barrel, 289 motor, auto, Atlantic blue (with white stripes over bonnet/roof), black interior, nice restored car. $22,000 Westcoast Classic Imports, Angle Vale, SA 08 8284 7282
Black & white picture but looks pretty good

Page 79 - 1969 Mach 1 Fastback, M code 351 4V Windsor, FMX auto, P/S, power disc brakes, factory a/c, rolling project with rust free body, faded original Meadow lark Yellow paint, left rear quarter replaced (decent job), interior needs full resto. Great resto loaded with all the options. $19,900
Just Mustangs 03 5428 7211 www.justmustangs.com.au
Seems like a good deal as about the same price as car you were looking at with the added bonus of being a Mach 1.

Page 143 - 1969 Mach 1 Fastback. the real thing, in storage since 1980's this car is 95% complete. Car has major rust in rear and requires full resto. 351 FMX, 9". $15,500. Brock Auto parts, Lilydale, Vic 03 9735 1033 www.brockautoparts.com.au
Heaps of other mustangs at this place also.

Hope to see you join the ranks of Stang owners soon.

Cheers,

Nuutz
Nuutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 21:51   #6 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuutz
CDAA

Anything developed yet with the stang? If not check out these options in the July issue of Just Cars:

Page 74 - 1966 Mustang Coupe, 4 barrel, 289 motor, auto, Atlantic blue (with white stripes over bonnet/roof), black interior, nice restored car. $22,000 Westcoast Classic Imports, Angle Vale, SA 08 8284 7282
Black & white picture but looks pretty good

Page 79 - 1969 Mach 1 Fastback, M code 351 4V Windsor, FMX auto, P/S, power disc brakes, factory a/c, rolling project with rust free body, faded original Meadow lark Yellow paint, left rear quarter replaced (decent job), interior needs full resto. Great resto loaded with all the options. $19,900
Just Mustangs 03 5428 7211 www.justmustangs.com.au
Seems like a good deal as about the same price as car you were looking at with the added bonus of being a Mach 1.

Page 143 - 1969 Mach 1 Fastback. the real thing, in storage since 1980's this car is 95% complete. Car has major rust in rear and requires full resto. 351 FMX, 9". $15,500. Brock Auto parts, Lilydale, Vic 03 9735 1033 www.brockautoparts.com.au
Heaps of other mustangs at this place also.

Hope to see you join the ranks of Stang owners soon.

Cheers,

Nuutz

Hi Nuutz,

No in the end I didn't go for it. It needed too much work for me to be happy swapping for it and as you said, it wasn't even a Mach 1. I really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to

I'll check these out but it looks like I maybe selling the Supra outright buying a new office for the company. All this means is I'll have to delay my classic car purchase for a short while :( Thanks for all your help regardless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs