Mach 1 advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 15:45   #1 (permalink)

Mach 1 advice

I'm looking into getting my first car, and there's a 71' mach 1 in my price range. It's an auto, has a 302, and has 62,000 miles, although it's probably rolled over once or more. Seller not original owner. Anything I should now about this model and year?
Mikey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2006, 19:35   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Mach 1 advice

Nice car, had one with the 3 speed. Does it seem to run well? Take it for a good test run. Like most Fords, prone to oil leaks, and sometimes some lifter ticking.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 19:57   #3 (permalink)

I don't know how it runs yet. I'm taking it for a test drive next Sunday. What's lifter ticking? I have no experience with pushrod cars, only overhead cam.
Mikey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 20:15   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Valve lifters, it's not really too big of a deal. I've run them for years with the lifters ticking. I would be more concerned with a knocking sound with any motor, that is definately a bad sign. If the car seems to run good, and you are happy with the price, get it.
If you need help with repairs, you can find it here.
I would suggest, as with any car you get, to get a repair manual for it. Very helpful.

The older repair manuals, in my opinion, are much better than the newer ones.
The ones for a car this old, such as chilton's, woud usually cover a seven year span. Also it will cover all the american cars, plus volkswagen and jeep.
They also have good unit repair sections covering things such as trannys,carbs, starter and alt. rebuilds, pwer and manual steering etc etc
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 14:02   #5 (permalink)

Mickey, first of all you need to check the VIN to make sure it is a Mach 1.
The 3rd and 4th digit of the VIN should be 05 for Fastback and the 1st three digits on the door tag should be 63R for Mach1. Without these codes it may not be a true Mach1. I've seen fastbacks with Mach 1 stripes and they have different code numbers.
Good Luck on your purchase.
artstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs