mark VIII suspension in a 66 mustang? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 23:17   #1 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

confused mark VIII rear in a 66 mustang?

i have parts from 93 mark VIII rear suspension (diff, axle, spindles, brakes) and would pick up struts/shocks and anything else needed for a swap INTO my 66 mustang if anyone knows how possible/hard it would be to do this swap/conversion. want to convert to 4 wheel disk brakes and my girl had the parts left over from a donor car. i want to know if anyone has any pointers and or suggestions on how (and IF) i should go about doing this. now, i want to improve on the cars handeling for the time being til i can afford something better and ya just can't beat free parts. i wanna know what i'm getting into before i take the stuff from her house.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.

Last edited by Clutch; 03-13-2006 at 12:13. Reason: wrong title
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: mark VIII suspension in a 66 mustang?

What research have you done? Do you know if the axle housing width is compatible? That would be the first consideration.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

no research as of yet. my girlfriend has the differential and half shafts (i believe, the piece from the diff to the wheels). i wanna at the very least use the halfshafts cause my stang's got 4 lug now and i wanna convert it later. i figured this would be the best place to start finding this stuff out, ford guys would know what could be interchanged. im prolly gonna end up going with a 9" limited slip anyways, but i figured it's be and improvement for now. plus it's FREE!!!

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53   #4 (permalink)

The Mark 8.8 is going to be wider than your stock rear- almost guaranteed. You should have leaf springs in the back right now, unless you've done a coilover conversion. The Mark suspension swap would be a huge pain in the ass.

If I can, I'd recommend you pass on those parts and find ways to upgrade your stock components to do as you like.

No offense at all, but a conversion that dramatic is one of those things that if you need to ask, you're probably better off finding an easier route. Trust me- I've had many failed projects because they were out of my league and I couldn't complete them.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11   #5 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
The Mark 8.8 is going to be wider than your stock rear- almost guaranteed. You should have leaf springs in the back right now, unless you've done a coilover conversion. The Mark suspension swap would be a huge pain in the ass.

If I can, I'd recommend you pass on those parts and find ways to upgrade your stock components to do as you like.

No offense at all, but a conversion that dramatic is one of those things that if you need to ask, you're probably better off finding an easier route. Trust me- I've had many failed projects because they were out of my league and I couldn't complete them.
thanks for the heads up. i figured i'd try to salvage the diff, at least, for now and possibly the shafts. i actuallly dont even have the suspension parts, i just wasn't thinkin clearly when i titled this thread. it's more the rear end.

i was hoping to be able to use the shafts at the very least to save myself about a grand on converting the rear to disc and 5 lug. i'm pickin up the front disc kit and have the parts from the mark VIII to mount in the rear, if they can. well, i'll just have to see this weekend.

i am going out for knee surgery (BOTH knees and one at a time!) before too long and i'm just lookin to find out anything i can do to this car that will help me bide my time while i'm healin. i don't wanna turn into a lazy couch potato! plus, not doing ANYTHING for (aprox) 18 months will drive me past insane!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs