total new b - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2006, 06:30   #1 (permalink)

total new b

Never built or restored before just got 66 mustang
200 inline six
3 spd auto
would like to improve both,but would like to keep reasonable
so how far do I take the engine before returns diminish,
can I get a overdrive unit in her or add one on?
is a versilles axle available with tall gears?
Why do folk wanna charge 1200 bucks for granada brake upgrades aint parts is parts? HELP
ROBERT
robert garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 19:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: total new b

Quote:
so how far do I take the engine before returns diminish
Do you want to keep the same engine? There are some performance parts for it.

Nice find. I would not want to swap out the engine or trans in such an original car. That's why we got one not so original.

I've been looking into doing the front disc brake swap for a while now. I don't want to buy one of the available kits because of rediculous price. They are priced to whatever the market will bear, and evidently people are buying them. I am going the Granada route as well. Been watching lot of them on ebay but they tend to go higher than I want to pay, plus shipping. They are also pretty hard to find at boneyards now too.

Does your car have bench seats? The benches are rare as everyone was opting for the buckets at that time.
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

ohio xb,

that pony light you have on your 66 where did you get it?
i know on ebay but who has it or what search term did you use to find it?

thanks
Old 01-24-2006, 19:16   #4 (permalink)

I only found it available on one site when I did a search for it. I think the words I used was "mustang emblem light" or something along those lines. Maybe it was "mustang grill light". Actually I do remember using "grill light", but perhaps not by themselves.

I did a search on it after we got it because though the auction stated it was NOS it looked like new. If it was NOS (from the 1960's) I would have expected the white plastic to be somehwhat yellowed from time and the instruction sheet was a photocopy of the instructions, not an original sheet. So I thought this thing was being reproduced but as I mentioned I only found it available at one place but I have no idea what the name was. I'll see if I can find it again. The page it was listed on was one of those that was only a loonng list of parts for sale, not a fancy laid out webpage.

Steve
Old 01-25-2006, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

here's a link for a site that is working on a new intake manifold and TBI set-up for the inlines. http://cquesttechnologies.com/fspp/orderonline.asp . the only bad thing is they have been "working" on this for at least a year, but now there is visible evidence that they are producing something. they still have yet to get dyno numbers up or a price tag for that matter, i think it is safe to assume that it will be a pretty penny. they are also "working" on a supercharger to mount to the new intake.

i will prolly just do a trans rebuild (or throw a 3-speed BACK in, the genious who had it before my friend got it traded a man. for an auto!!!) on my 66 coupe and work on a 351 like i really want to. not sure how origional i wanna keep this one. we shall see in the future.

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20   #6 (permalink)

Hey
Engine is original to the car so will stay 200 six hey it even runs!
Brakes tho are a problem, scarebird has a solution and the66mustang another,
still considering the best way to go here.
wish to go for a few more ponies outa the six blowers and tri webbers are definately OUT!
I've some paint scheme ideas that MAY be original but certainly not "pimp my ride"
The interior really thows me tho so easy to go back original or even pony interior....but
I always liked a business coupe two passenger trunk extended into cab (rear air)
That is one purple stang! much talent evidenced (hope to do 1/2 as well)
alas buckets here,for seats, if I go with B'coupe those will change too,and goin original would be so easy!
I'm still considerin what all is probable, never having gone this way before!
and I like this site y'all thanks!
robert garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 23:58   #7 (permalink)
Muffler Bearing

i hear ya, the break upgrades are pretty expensive, but on something like that (call we whatever you want) i'd rather spend the money on new than hit the bone yard (as they are all dried out on those things anyway). i'm doing a lot to mine and it's going to take a long while to finish. quick run down of the resto plans: new suspension, body stregnthing kit (have to take her to the frame shop first, kinda looks as if the frame rail on the P/S is seperating), 351 (small block, keep forgetting if it's the W or C?) pushin at least 600, tremec t5, balanced aluminum driveshaft (if it will hold the power), brake upgrade, E2 body kit (yeah, yeah, i've heard all that jazz b4), mustangsplus' ram-jet hood, prolly pony int., custom paint jobby- metallic black with silver stripes (as in siggy), the custom is in the stripes, and for that, you'll all have to wait til i'm finished. i've had enough idea's get hijacked already. one of my friends took my sleeper idea of turbo'ing a tempo (as in the 2.3L SVO from the stangs) and now smokes ALOT of hooked up cars. he lets me drive it whenever i want since it was my idea to build it. sorry back to the topic at hand, the classics are wonderful (but i don't have to tell you that) and are a PITA at the same time. best of luck to you and keep me posted. Later

Horsepower tells how fast you can hit a wall . . . Torque tells lets you move the wall.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:03   #8 (permalink)

I found the light!!!

You can find it here....

http://www.allclassicmustang.com/1966web.html

Here is the description....

Accessory 64/66 Grille ornament lighted horse kit

I stumbled across it while looking for something else. Isn't that the way it always goes?
Old 02-12-2006, 21:52   #9 (permalink)

Now there is a company reproducing one of the corral lights. You can find it here......

http://www.tripowerparts.com/Tripower/partsframe.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs