what to do...? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 11:43   #1 (permalink)

Question what to do...?

i have a 69 fastback 390cid with an fmx tranny, i have a fairly generic 650cfm holley carb that need to be rebuilt. i am a poor college student. i need a good 4bbl carb for cheap. any suggestions? companies? i also need to find a complete wiring harness from solenoid to voltage regulator to alternator. its butchered. and my brakes need to be rebuilt completely AND(as if thats not enough) i need a new master cylinder. i love this car and i hhave spent a lot of time effort and money on it, but im starting to get depressed. my uncle wants to trade me a 72 chevelle 350. all it needs is a front fender and a little body work. i dont want to part with my car...what would you guys do?
mike6986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 06:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: what to do...?

Fix the stang.
wiring harness is a no brainer, its all available new for lot a lot of cost.

Brakes...well every car needs em.

You might need to do these things over a period of time. Do what is URGENT first. Brakes, carb, wiring.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 19:22   #3 (permalink)

I have a 750 holley vac secondary on my 390...fairly affordable, but nothing wrong with the 650...have it rebuilt and save money.

Go to all the mustang catalog websites and order their free catalogs.

That wire harness is cheap.

Go to auto zone or kragen for brake parts...best prices.

Any oldbuddy has a chevelle...but a 69 fastback big block is something special....Iv'e owned my 68 fastback 390 for 19 years!
MattP51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 19:35   #4 (permalink)

By the way...get summits and jegs cats.....certain parts (like carbs) are chaeper than buying through the mustang cats I mentioned.
MattP51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 17:59   #5 (permalink)

i have tons of catalogs. jegs summit npd calmustang etc. at least 20 or so. my carb needs to be rebuilt and its gonna cost me 300 bucks. which is ridiculous i know. the carb only cost me 235, so im just gonna get something else for the stang. oh and now my front tranny seal is out, and all my tranny fluid is on my driveway. great. but yeah im keeping it for now and probably for a while. ive had this car for 5 years now and i used to say id never get rid of it, but as you get oldr things change huh? i was 12 when i got it now im 17 but im waaay to attached to this car to just let it go. thanks for the help guys.
mike6986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 20:34   #6 (permalink)

$300 to rebuild the carb? Dang, send it to me I'll do it for half that... Your getting hosed at $300. It's not that hard to do and the Holley kit is about $40 for the basic kit... BTW, if you do decide to rebuild it yourself or you take it to somebody, make sure they/you use a Holley brand kit.

I have a ton of carb rebuild links/tech on my site I'll supply a few if interested.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:22   #7 (permalink)

I'm with jay50h....the price you have been quoted for a carb rebuild is nothing short of a rip off!

Those carbs in Oz are about 150 AU to rebuild (you do the conversion), if it cost you 150 US including freight to jay,then your on a winner.

Your car sounds to me like one that needs a little TLC (tender loving care) by someone who is not going to just rip you off.

You have done the right thing by asking here.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs