Will stock fulcrum rockers work with a .500" lift cam? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 22:14   #1 (permalink)

Will stock fulcrum rockers work with a .500" lift cam?

I'm rebuilding a 302 for my brother. It is a 1971 version. I already drilled and tapped the block for the roller lifter spider tray as we will be going with a roller cam. A E303 cam no doubt and a carb, no EFI.
My question is will the stock fulcrum rockers work with a 0.500" lift cam? I think they would but want other opinions.
Yes, roller rockers would be better. No question. Much better...
Here is the issue. Money. Roller rockers are $279 (Ford Racing M-6564-A351 - Ford Racing Roller Rocker Arms-Overview – SummitRacing.com ) No we are not interested in the ProForm rockers for $159, sorry.
The factory studs will have to be pulled and the bosses tapped for screw in studs. No estimate on machine work but studs cost $54 ($27 for 8) Trick Flow Specialties TFS-51400613-8 - Trick Flow┬« Rocker Arm Studs-Overview – SummitRacing.com )
Now we will need guide plates, another $33 (Airflow Research 6107 - Airflow Research Camshafts & Valvetrain-Overview – SummitRacing.com )
So about $367 PLUS machine work to have roller rockers ? Doesn't seem worth it.
He WILL NOT be racing the car, just wants a bit of lope at idle and decent low end, thus the E303 cam.
So will stock rockers work with a 1/2" lift cam so we can save $400 and spend it on something more useful like headers and a gear?
Danford1
danford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 18:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: Will stock fulcrum rockers work with a .500" lift cam?

danford1, nice to meet you. I`ve just rebuilt a 302 ho from a mustang and put it into my 89 F150. it`s has a .533 gross vave lift with regular rocker arms and roller lifter`s. everything worked fine. it has efi and my problem is getting someone around here to set the throttle body for me. far as it running, it run great. you`ll have to wire it as a 351 firing order because when you change the cam it will not run right with the 302 firing order. I`m going to try and put it into a car show this weekend just to see what some people think. if you would like me too i`ll send you some pic`s of the engine.just send me an email.
gameshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 19:29   #3 (permalink)

Pictures aren't necessary. I've built engine for 35 years. I know what they look like.
Thanks for the offer though :-)

Danford1
danford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 22:10   #4 (permalink)

I would say you need roller rockers heavy duty springs locks retainers and stud girdles but then again I could be wrong anybody else got an idea

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
brad76017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Good reply , but as the post is more than 4 yrs old might not get a response from poster.Could maybe help someone searching the forum though.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59   #6 (permalink)

I noticed the date figured it must be wrong Hurley no one would leave a post up that many years apparently not thank you

brad76017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad76017 View Post
I noticed the date figured it must be wrong Hurley no one would leave a post up that many years apparently not thank you

Frequently, you can find the answer to your problem if you go digging far enough. On the flip side, we can always drag up an old quote if the answer is too lengthy as well.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Mustangs