1960 Tbird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 21:50   #1 (permalink)

1960 Tbird

I recently acquired a 1960 Tbird. Due to it sitting for a long time it is in need of an engine rebuild and/or replacement. The current engine is the FE 352

I am in no hurry and am planning on enjoying the project. I have a few questions for any knowledgable types out there.

First, I have a line on a Fuel injected 460 engine that came out of a 1997 truck. I am pretty sure in looking at it that the bell housing is different among other things. I am curious if it would be worth the mods required to make this switch and if the 460 would even be a good choice?

Second, keeping in mind that the plan is for a Hot Rod, what would be a relatively easy swap that would net a head snapping ride?

Feel free to " School " me

Bandit
Onearmbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 09:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1960 Tbird

Stay with the 352. That 460 is electronic. You will have problems and very likely it will
NEVER be right. The very first thing you have to do is completely rebuild the front suspention to hold up the 460. Then a drive line. Then a differential to hold up to the
torque. Then change the exhaust system. Then a new gas tank with inboard fuel pump
and it goes on.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 1960 Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onearmbandit View Post
I recently acquired a 1960 Tbird. Due to it sitting for a long time it is in need of an engine rebuild and/or replacement. The current engine is the FE 352

I am in no hurry and am planning on enjoying the project. I have a few questions for any knowledgable types out there.

First, I have a line on a Fuel injected 460 engine that came out of a 1997 truck. I am pretty sure in looking at it that the bell housing is different among other things. I am curious if it would be worth the mods required to make this switch and if the 460 would even be a good choice?

Second, keeping in mind that the plan is for a Hot Rod, what would be a relatively easy swap that would net a head snapping ride?

Feel free to " School " me

Bandit
Just rebuild the 352. The 460 EFI swap would require much more work. You would at least need the PCM, the Engine harness, and the mounts. You'll have to do allot of farbicating trying to make stuff fit. The stock Cruis-O-Matic I don't think will bolt up to the 460. C6 might.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Stay with the 352. That 460 is electronic. You will have problems and very likely it will NEVER be right. The very first thing you have to do is completely rebuild the front suspention to hold up the 460. Then a drive line. Then a differential to hold up to the
torque. Then change the exhaust system. Then a new gas tank with inboard fuel pump
and it goes on.
Let me address these Chip:

EFI- well... having the harness and computer from the donor vehicle helps, it's not as if it's drive by wire, or have traction control/stability control.
Front suspension- definetely needs a spring upgrade, a set for the 430 MEL engine will work since the 460 is lighter than an FE believe it or not.
Differential that can hold up to the torque- Hmmm... already has a 9" rear, I don't think we need an upgrade there...
Exhaust system- A given, finding the right manifolds may be a challenge.
New gas tank with internal pump- maybe... could go with an external electric...

Point is, it's doable, with time and $$$, but rebuild parts are available for the 352 FE, and there are some performance parts for the FE, though not all will work with the 352.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 16:23   #4 (permalink)

Re: 1960 Tbird

I vote keep the 352 or if you really want to increase power find yourself a 428 and build that. Same block so accessories should fit. That would be much easier that a 460 swap. The tranny won't bolt up to the 460 either.

And indeed the 460 is lighter than a 352.......
Rlzegers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds