1961 Thunderbird - How to determine value? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 21:21   #1 (permalink)

1961 Thunderbird - How to determine value?

Hello,

I just joined this forum so I could ask you a question. Depending on what I find out, I may be coming back a lot.

An acquaintance of my brothers is a Vietnam Vet. He never married and instead always collected cars and toys. Now it seems that the trauma and agent orange from Vietnam has caught up with him and he has been placed in Vet hospital for long term care.

His family is now trying to clean out his house and among the toys there is a 1961 Thunderbird convertible - that I have always loved. His family knows that I an interested in the car and asked me to tell them what it is worth.

How is the best way to do this? I have always been a big block Corvette, and MGB guy, and I know these cars, but I do not know how to price this car.

The Thunderbird is an all original convertible, white on white, wire wheels and even has the original fiberglass parade boot cover. It only has about 80,000 miles on it. It is kept in a temperature controlled garage and has no rust. Overall, I would say that the car is an 8 on a scale of 10. Everything is there and it is original and runs great.

What do you think this is worth? I want to be fair to the family, but I would like to buy the car.

Also, I have never seen it, but he once told me that he had proof that this car was one of the ones used in the inaugural parade for Kennedy.

Thanks
saanich2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1961 Thunderbird - How to determine value?

Without documented proof of the parade the car is an ordinary 61 t.bird. You will need an independent appraisal for collector cars and you will only get your money if a collector wants it bad enough. If no one wants it it's a five hundred dollar car. If the car is " category A " the car could be worth $50,000.00. If just mint it could be $10,000.00.
They average between those prices. If it's beat it could be worth $500.00. You have to
have it appraised. They were not a popular car. They only sold 10,516 convertibles.
That doesn't make them rare. It tells me nobody wanted them because of the very poor
sales. They were called the bullet car. The body style was changed in 62. Is this a 2 seat or 4 seat ? The 2 seat is where the money is. That car has a 390 at 300 H.P.
0 - 60 in 10.5. seconds. They made many thousands of 55-56-57- chevs. I'm thinking of
hundreds of thousands. Those cars are rare. See what i mean. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 13:44   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1961 Thunderbird - How to determine value?

An older car like the '61 Tbird is going to be worth whatever someone is willing to pay and the seller is willing to take - no more and no less, there's no real standard.

In looking at oldrides.com and Ebay, the '61s are going anywhere from $5,000 to almost $30,000. If it is as clean as you say, it'll be in the upper half of that class.

Actually, in terms of sales 10,000 convertibles out of 72,000 total for that year is not bad. If I've read right the "roadster" package with the fiberglass cover over the back seat area didn't happen until '62, but someone could have adapted it.

A '61 Bird was in President Kennedy's parade, but not this one unless it has papers. I think you have a very nice car in your sight and you just need to figure out if a $10K to $15K offer will get it
Old 08-13-2011, 23:02   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1961 Thunderbird - How to determine value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saanich2011 View Post
Hello,

I just joined this forum so I could ask you a question. Depending on what I find out, I may be coming back a lot.

An acquaintance of my brothers is a Vietnam Vet. He never married and instead always collected cars and toys. Now it seems that the trauma and agent orange from Vietnam has caught up with him and he has been placed in Vet hospital for long term care.

His family is now trying to clean out his house and among the toys there is a 1961 Thunderbird convertible - that I have always loved. His family knows that I an interested in the car and asked me to tell them what it is worth.

How is the best way to do this? I have always been a big block Corvette, and MGB guy, and I know these cars, but I do not know how to price this car.

The Thunderbird is an all original convertible, white on white, wire wheels and even has the original fiberglass parade boot cover. It only has about 80,000 miles on it. It is kept in a temperature controlled garage and has no rust. Overall, I would say that the car is an 8 on a scale of 10. Everything is there and it is original and runs great.

What do you think this is worth? I want to be fair to the family, but I would like to buy the car.

Also, I have never seen it, but he once told me that he had proof that this car was one of the ones used in the inaugural parade for Kennedy.

Thanks
Pull the rear seat and look for the ROT Sheet. It is a build sheet used by the factory. If it is an Inaugural Ball car, it will be typed at the bottom of the sheet. Inaugural Ball cars were typically painted Presidential Mahogony. Check the Vintage Thunderbird Club International Site, and their forum. Forum yields good answers. Vintage Thunderbird Club International :: Index
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds