Bill W - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14   #1 (permalink)

cool Bill W

My wife inherited a 66 T-bird. It has been running great until last summer on a real hot day. It quit running then wouldn't start again. We were thinking vapor lock. We only use the best fuel in it. It started up the next morning when it was cool out and ran fine. After we stored it away for awhile and tried to start it again it ran for awhile then quit and won't start. Its looking like a bad fue pump. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the fuel pump out. Its the 390 engine with air conditioning. Is it easier to go in from underneath or do I have to remove the power steering pump or (god forbid) the air conditioner. ???? Help! and Thanks.
billw53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 16:05   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Bill W

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw53
My wife inherited a 66 T-bird. It has been running great until last summer on a real hot day. It quit running then wouldn't start again. We were thinking vapor lock. We only use the best fuel in it. It started up the next morning when it was cool out and ran fine. After we stored it away for awhile and tried to start it again it ran for awhile then quit and won't start. Its looking like a bad fuel pump. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the fuel pump out. Its the 390 engine with air conditioning. Is it easier to go in from underneath or do I have to remove the power steering pump or (god forbid) the air conditioner. ???? Help! and Thanks.
I think you would have to unbolt the A/C compressor and the p/s pump to access it. You don't have to discharge the A/C- just carefully set it aside. Same thing with the P/S pump, don't drain it, just set it aside. A note, if it still has the stock pump-to carb line, loosen it a the carb end, it will make the reinstallation easy on the pump end. How did it quit running??? Did it have a slow crank when restarting??? Does it have Thermactor air pump system??? In the 1966 T-Bird shop manual section 10, lists causes for stalling.
ENGINE HOT OR COLD
-Incorrect idle fuel mixture
-Engine Idle speed too low (Fast or cold idle adjustment)
-Dirt, water or ice in fuel system
-PCV system malfunctioning or restricted
-Fuel lines restricted or leaking air
-Fuel tank vent restricted (A quick note, The 1966 shop manual indicates the tank is vented by a vent tube on top of the tank, although all repro tanks for 1964-66 are the same, and earlier shop manuals list the vent as being the gas cap)
-Leaking intake manifold or carburetor gaskets
-Carburetor icing (Cold, wet or humid weather)
-Incorreect throttle linkage adjustment to carburetor
-Clogged air bleeds or idle passages
-Defective fuel pump
ENGINE HOT ONLY
-Improperly adjusted or defective carburetor dashpot
-Idle compensator malfunctioning
-Thermostat defective
-Excessive looseness of throttle shaft in bores of throttle body.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 21:49   #3 (permalink)

Re: Bill W

It was a real hot day out. 119 Degrees last summer. We took it for a drive across town. (about 4 miles) It died and wouldn,t start again` Waited a while and it started again but only went for about two blocks. We called a friend and he came over to where we were and he thought it was probably vapor lock. We thought that too but now it won't start at all. Is it possible that the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump is plugged solid?? We havent tried to take it off yet, It would be nice if it was just a filter. My friend and I were not sure if it would be easier to access it from under the car or to remove the power steering pump. We haven,t attempted anything yet. Do you think it will be difficult to find a pump for it or is it a pretty common item??? Thanks in advance for any info....Bill W
Old 04-18-2007, 09:23   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Bill W

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw53
It was a real hot day out. 119 Degrees last summer. We took it for a drive across town. (about 4 miles) It died and wouldn,t start again` Waited a while and it started again but only went for about two blocks. We called a friend and he came over to where we were and he thought it was probably vapor lock. We thought that too but now it won't start at all. Is it possible that the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump is plugged solid?? We havent tried to take it off yet, It would be nice if it was just a filter. My friend and I were not sure if it would be easier to access it from under the car or to remove the power steering pump. We haven,t attempted anything yet. Do you think it will be difficult to find a pump for it or is it a pretty common item??? Thanks in advance for any info....Bill W
You can get the original cartridge filter at any parts store. The cup spins off like an oil filter. As for the pump, you're better off getting it from one of the T-Bird Parts suppliers, like Mac's antique auto parts in New York. The will have the correct pump with the spin on filter.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 13:26   #5 (permalink)

roll Re: Bill W

To tbird100636, Thanks for the info. Not sure yet if I want to try this myself or hire a mechanic. I'm not quite as spry as I used to be. Sounds like the best way to get the pump out is to pull the steering pump and air conditioner loose and set them as far out of the way as possible. I would appreciate any other suggestions.....Anyone have any other tips. I have a friend that might be able to help me this weekend. He suggested we start by loosening the fuel line at the carb and cranking the engine and see if any fuel at all spits out of the line. If nothing comes out I guess we can safely assume its a bad fuel pump.

Last edited by billw53; 04-18-2007 at 13:30. Reason: Missed the word "at"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds