dual master cylinder for a 1966 T bird? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 17:58   #1 (permalink)

dual master cylinder for a 1966 T bird?

has anyone know how to convert a 1966 thunderbird single master cylinder to a dual?
birdboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 17:25   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: dual master cylinder for a 1966 T bird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy66
Does anyone know how to convert a 1966 Thunderbird single master cylinder to a dual?
Welcome fellow T-Bird owner!!! What kind of T-Bird do you have??? Which engine??? Try this site: Master Power Brakes . They don't have a specific listing for a 66 T-Bird, but they have allot of good info on there. You may want to give them a ring and tell them what you want to do, and they could give you some advice doing it. My uncles two T-Birds are still running the old single master.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:31   #3 (permalink)

Re: dual master cylinder for a 1966 T bird?

thanks, this car is my first car it still needs a lot of work but with the help of my dad i am sure i can get it ready to be on the street by the time i get my license hopefully!
my car is a 1966 thunderbird hardtop with a 390 i cant wait to drive it!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, this car is my first car it still needs a lot of work but with the help of my dad I am sure I can get it ready to be on the street by the time I get my license hopefully!!!
My car is a 1966 Thunderbird hardtop with a 390. I can't wait to drive it!!!!!!
Regular hardtop with rear quarter windows or a Town Hardtop with no quarter windows??? Regular and Town Hardtops had Bird emblems on the sides of the roof. A Town Landau Hardtop has no rear quarter windows like the Town Hardtop, but has a vinyl roof and Landau S bars in place of the Birds on the roof sides.
Old 07-31-2007, 16:55   #5 (permalink)

it's a town landau hardtop.

what are your uncle's two T-bird's like?
Old 07-31-2007, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
it's a town landau hardtop.

What are your uncle's two T-bird's like?
A 1964 T-Bird Hardtop, regular hardtop (They didn't make Town Hardtops until 1966), had it since 1997, just about done with it, 390, Cruis-o-Matic auto, Chantilly Beige, pearl beige interior, 48,000 original miles. No options, very early (first month) production, no seat belt light, dealer installed front seatbelts, lots of work to get it good.
A 1966 Convertible (you read about it in the hood latch post) 390, Cruis-o-Matic auto (Early 66's with a 390 still had the Cruis-o-Matic, all 428's and later 390's had a C^ auto.) ameature restoration done by a Bird enthusiast, exact original options not know, bought it from a guy that bought it from the restorer. Supposedly originally a Blue car with blue interior, Door tag is missing, only ID on the car is on the radiator support and the top R. cowl, 118,000 miles, A mixed up metallic orangy-red, mixed white/red/parchment(off white) interior-looks like the combonation interior package available 1965-66, (White or parchment seats, door panels steering column, wheel, and outer dash pad, color seat belts, carpets, console and parts of dash, door panel matching carpets deleted.) Options on car are power windows (front and rear, non-power vent windows), safety convienience panel (Vacuum power door locks, door ajar light, low fuel light, emergency flashers with light {Emergency flashers were federally mandated in 1966, so you will find some 1966's with emergency flashers alone} {Safety convenience panel was normally located under clock, but town models moved part of it to an overhead console [Seat belt light, door ajar light, flashers light with integral switch, and low fuel light.] power lock switch was moved to lower portion of center console.})L.F. power seat, AM/FM radio, rear seat speaker, R. hand mirror, and deluxe spinner wheel covers. Has incorrect for convertible wood dash and console bezels (Only Landau's got wood) Currently missing hood and hinges. Need allot of work to get it like the 64. Any questions???
Old 08-01-2007, 17:17   #7 (permalink)

nope, it seems like you really no your T-birds. when i first got mine last spring it had 64,000 miles on it (it had to be trailered to my house because it isnt driveable so the miles are still the same.) the car has black interior which is very nice except for the driver side seat is torn. i still havent torn up the carpet yet to see how the floor pans look but i think they will be pretty nice. my car does not have too many options except for the vacuum powered door locks. it needs the rear sheet metal but the body work shouldnt be too bad its fairly solid. the 390 is out of my car right now because i couldnt get the manifolds off with it in so i decided to take it out and clean the motor and the engine compartment and then paint it. i also just put on an aluminum intake. i still have two years to finish it up before i get my license.
Old 08-01-2007, 19:26   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Nope, it seems like you really know your T-Birds. When I first got mine last spring it had 64,000 miles on it (it had to be trailered to my house because it isn't driveable so the miles are still the same.) The car has black interior which is very nice except for the driver side seat is torn. I still haven't torn up the carpet yet to see how the floor pans look but I think they will be pretty nice. My car does not have too many options except for the vacuum powered door locks. It needs the rear sheet metal but the body work shouldnt be too bad... its fairly solid. The 390 is out of my car right now because I couldn't get the manifolds off with it in so I decided to take it out and clean the motor and the engine compartment and then paint it. I also just put on an aluminum intake. I still have two years to finish it up before I get my license.
Yeah, the original cast iron intake is hard to remove because of the weight and the exhaust bolts can be a slight problem. Remember, the engine is Ford Dark blue (block, heads, intake, water pump, front cover, valve covers, air cleaner, dipstick handle, and if a later production 66, the coolant reservour/thermostat housing. If an earlier production 66 the resrvour is painted gloss black. Fuel pump is natural silver color. Oil filler cap is gloss black.) Common rust spots on these are floor pans, trunk pans (bottom, sides, wheelhouse extensions) quarter panels, rocker panels, and lower front fenders. All of these are reproduced and available from any T-Bird parts houses. Seat covers and carpets are also available. A good way to get info on these is to READ!!! There are many books out there about T-Birds. Go to your local bookstore and browse the Auto or transportation section. Here's a few-
T-Bird 45 years of thunder- John Gunnell & James T. Lenzke
Standard Catalog of Thunderbird- John Gunnell
Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-1966-William Wonder
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57   #9 (permalink)

my uncle is letting me borrow his T-bird book for a few days to look at it. the intake was pretty heavy but i got it off, i probably just took about 60 pounds off the front of my car. do you know where i can find a air ride system for my car, i love the look of a low car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds