Help! 55-57 Thunderbird 292 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 11:33   #1 (permalink)

Question Help! 55-57 Thunderbird 292

Hi everyone!, I'm new to the Ford Forums, Thanks for talking a moment to look at my post.
Reciently I aquired a Thunderbird engine from a faimly member whom had it stored under his bench at home since the early 60's! That's right, the early 60's. The engine came out of a Thunderbird at a Ford dealership after the customer purchaced the car new, due to a consistant leaking of the rear main seal. The customer later got fed up with the leak and had a new engine orderd from the factory and had it dealer installed sometime around 1960. Our faimly member was working at the dealership in the parts dept. and after the engine was replaced he kept the one that came out, thinking someday he would put it in a 1955 panel truck he's had all these years another one of which I now own. When I purchaced the panel from him about 6 months ago the Thunderbird engine came with it. The motor is a long block, consisting of Block, crank , pistons, heads, valve train, rods, camshaft, and chain and gears. The sheetmetal was evidently used on the new factory motor installed at the dealers, as well as the front cover , and intake and dist. None the less I have a 40,000 mile original T-Bird engine. I have done some research on the internet and found that it was 55-56 Thunderbird 292. what I am not sure about is what year it came from exactly. The numbers on the block are as follows (ECK-6015-B) the number on the heads are (ECL-C) There are also some numbers and letters hand stamped on the front of the block on a flat machined surface they read as follows (55R2N) I can only guess that because the vin tag and engine stamp number match according to what I've read would indicate that this engine is from a 55...? Here's my question!
If in fact this is an original 292 Thunderbird engine is it worth cleaning up , having it checked , and selling it on e-bay or to a dealer. and in fact is it desirable enough to find a home with someone restoring or in need of this casting number engine? or should I just put it on the shelf for another 20 or so years? I Know these are a lot of questions but I"m really lost as what to do with this engine. With the classic car business being what it is today , I would think there would be a need for something like this. Anyhow, Thank you for taking a moment to read and help out!
Ben
Bghotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 09:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help! 55-57 Thunderbird 292

If you are not going to use it in the panel truck, I would go ahead clean it up and put it out there forsale. Myself I would not rebuild it if I was going to sell, most restorers would want to do this them selfs. But sence you have it, it might make a great engine for the panel.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds