need advice 1966 T-bird hardtop - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Buying a 66 T-bird Tuesda

need advice 1966 T-bird hardtop

Hello all,

I'm going to look at a 1966 T-bird hadtop on Tuesday, 1/17/05, and I'd some advice as to what I need to check. The last time I stopped to look at it, the doors were open, but the owner/seller was not there. The interior is pretty good, but it shows ts 40 years of use -- no abuse. The body is almost perfect and very tight. The door do nt sag at all when opened, and I went around the lower panels with a magnet, finding only steel -- no rust visible, no paint bubbles. It has old T-bird hubcaps, but I don't know if they are for the same year as the car.

I then called the phone number on the windsheild

The car does not have its original motor, but a 460ci Ford motor. I do not know what car, year or model, this motor came from, but I will find out as soon as possible. The guy on the phone didn't know the motors history, but tells me he will by Tuesday. I cannot wait to open the hood on this car!!!

How do you open the hood on this model T-bird? I don't want to look too stupid when I get there for the inspection.

Any help from any one will be greatly apprciated. This is going to be my first car; I just got my drivers liscense (I've been driving with my Dad sitting next to me since I was 14). I fell in love with the look of the 66 T-bird about two years ago, and looked hard to find one. This is the type of car I want to drive to school in, drive around to work and play after school in. I finally found one that looks good, and at a price I can afford (with help from Dad!!!). My Dad knows a lot about cars, but mostly English cars (he drives a Jaguar , kind of a Ford, and an old Triumph). He is VERY good with old cars, so I know he can keep me running safely. I just want to be sure and not buy a "Basket Case" car that will need lots of work (i.e., LOTS of money!!!!!!!!).

PLEASE help me out. If anyone is worried about a kid with a car like this, rest assured my parents are putting a lot of rules in place before I get the keys -- straight "A's" in school, no one but me EVER drives it -- no friends EVER. My Dad is going to put a GPS "Kid Tracker" system in the car. which will tell him where I've gone, and how I drove to get there. If I speed I lose the car. If I lie about anything to do with the car, I lose it. Believe me, I earned this car through good behavior and good grades. I really appreciate getting the car of my dreams.

Greta
I have pictures -- how can I post them on the forum?

Last edited by GBieg; 01-15-2006 at 20:01. Reason: mistake in title
GBieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 11:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: need advice 1966 T-bird hardtop

The last T-Bird that I had was a 63, and My Bother-in-law had a 64 that I worked on, so as far as the hood opens on the 64-66 years, if I remenber right the release is in the center of the hood above the grile, then there is a 2nd saftey latch next to it. Look in the thrunk of the car for rust, look in the rear where the spring are attached for rust around the body. The 460 is a good engine and was must likey alot of work to put in place of the FE engine. Check to make sure everything ishooked up under the hood. With the 460 the transmition will have to have been changed also, so check the kick down on the carb is there, and the shifter is working good. The T-Bird should be agreat first car. Good luck, I hope this is of some help to you. Allen
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 18:46   #3 (permalink)

Hello Allen,
THANK YOU very much, both for the great responce and the fast reply to my posting!!! I will save this reply in a paper copy and keep it in my glove compartment.

Take care....
Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha66
The last T-Bird that I had was a 63, and My Bother-in-law had a 64 that I worked on, so as far as the hood opens on the 64-66 years, if I remenber right the release is in the center of the hood above the grile, then there is a 2nd saftey latch next to it. Look in the thrunk of the car for rust, look in the rear where the spring are attached for rust around the body. The 460 is a good engine and was must likey alot of work to put in place of the FE engine. Check to make sure everything ishooked up under the hood. With the 460 the transmition will have to have been changed also, so check the kick down on the carb is there, and the shifter is working good. The T-Bird should be agreat first car. Good luck, I hope this is of some help to you. Allen
Old 01-16-2006, 19:27   #4 (permalink)

Hello again Allen,

Did you see the answer I got from Greg on the section about classic T-birds? It should be near the top, with "GBieg" n the left of the posting. The pictures he sent are good. I wish he would have taken them from farther away so I could locate the places easier when I get to the motor on this car. My Dad laughed when I said this to him -- he said he can find these numbers know that he knows what he is looking fr, and will show me. He also said it will not be as easy as the pictures because the engine is in the car surrounded by other things and lots of wires and hoses.

Take care. Thanks again. I will post pictures as soon as I learn how to do it.

Greta
Old 01-17-2006, 10:18   #5 (permalink)

I seen the pictures of the Bird on the 460 forum, nice looking ride. If you get a chance post a shot of the engine bay, I would like to see the 460 in it. Allen
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:04   #6 (permalink)

dddddd
warren-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 22:53   #7 (permalink)

Hello Allen,
The motor has the following on the casting under the carborator. I saw them when my Dad took off the air cleaner:

D0VE-A3A

I think. My Dad asleep, so I can't find what he wrote down, but I think this is what I read off the motor to him. It looks like the motor is a 1970 motor -- what cars used this motor in 1970? Was it used in trucks at the time? (I hope not) I'm hoping the A3A part will tell me more about this.

Now for the GREAT part of this deal -- it comes with awhole other car with a running 390 and trany in it!!!!!!! All the glass in this second car is good, but there is some rust on the lower parts and has no brakes. I didn't see it, it is stored a long way from where the nice Tbird is, but I was told by the owner the motor runs perfectly, no smoke at all and it purrs like a kitten. My Dad was VERY interested in this bit of news. He said he might just look to see how bad the ody is, and if it is bad, strip the good parts and crush the old body. He likes this type of stuff, it's fun for him.

Thanks again for the help. If you know, tell me what the A3A means.

Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha66
Old 01-20-2006, 16:18   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: need advice 1966 T-bird hardtop

On a 66 thunderbird the hood release and safety catch are on the same handle, which is under the center front edge of the bumper. You pull it out and hold it out while opening hood. By the way, is this car blue in color with a navy blue vinyl roof? I have seen one T-Bird for sale in the past with a 460. It had faded paint and a hole in the top of the L.F. fender. Additionally, you can tell what engine it originally had by the VIN number. If the 5th digit of the VIN is Z, it had a 390 4V. If it has a Q, then it had a 428 4V.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds