test ride, T-bird 1966 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 22:03   #1 (permalink)
Buying a 66 T-bird Tuesda

test ride, T-bird 1966

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it a lot.

I tried to post pics, but was told they are too big. I need to get some help making them small enough to be put on a forum posting. I will try to get this done fast............

The test drive day was a lot of fun. The battery is pretty dead, and the car ran for about 30 minutes while we checked it out. This was not enough to charge the battery enough to start the car a second time, but my Dad isn't worried about this -- he said he wouldn't be surprised if it needs both a battery and an alternator. The thing is the car ran great -- no smoke and no funny noises. I really don'tknow what my Dad was listening or looking for, but he seemed pretty happy overall.

I only drove it a little, and the steering wheel seemed REALLY REALLY REALLY loose. I could move it a few inches both ways before the front wheels would move. My Dad said he wasn't surprised at this either, and a lot of old American made cars have this same problem. I have no idea what he talked about, he tried to explain about a steering box a couple of times, but I don't get it. He told me I have to learn about it, a little, on my own before he'd try explaining again. Can anyone tell me where I can read about old car steering problems? I feel like I have homework!!!!! He did say he can get this fixed, and my Dad is pretty good at this stuff.

The tail lights are VERY COOL!!!!!!!! When you move the turn signal level, the light start at the middle of the back bmper and seem to move to outter edge of the car. WILD looking when it does this. I didn't try the warning lights, the ones you use if the car breaks down -- do they do something funny too? The horn is a little wimpy for a car this big.

Then we drove a few miles and looked at the second 66 Tbird that comes with this one. My Dad forgot to take pictures, but if the weather is okay on Sunday my Dad said he'd take me to see it and take more pics. The dash top is actually better on the junk Tbird than the good one that drives. Also, it has the original radio in it. Someone put a newer radio with a tape casset player in the good running Tbird, and chopped the area a little too much. My Dad said he would take that part out of the recked car and put it in the good one because it will look better. There is a Tbird image on the little door for the tape to go in, but the radio looks really cheap.

I wish we had taken pictures of the junk Tbird's engine -- it looks really good considering how the car looks. The current owner said it will run perfctly, but the gas tank is rusted away and you have to find a clean way to get gas to the motor. My Dad was surprised the junk car's motor has a 4 barrel carburator while the 460 in the running car has only a 2 barrel carburator. I asked if we could switch them, and my Dad said the current motor in the running car is setup to run with a 2 barrel and would run worse if I just had the big carburator slapped onto the 460. (He then said I was NOT to let any of my friends or their boy friends even open the hood on this car or he would KILL THEM!! I think he means it!!!!) My Dad is normally right about stuff like this, but he might be lying to keep te car running slower. The way the running car runs now can make the rear wheels spin VERY easy -- too easy my Dad said!!!!!!

Well, I need to get the pictures.

Does anyone now what the number we found on the 460 -- D0VE-A3A means? I know what the D0VE means, 1970, but what about the A3A? Thanks to everyone for any advice or help they can give me. Looks like my Dad is going to buy this car, but I'm afraid he might keep it for him as another toy!!!!!!!

Greta
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
429/460 Fanatic

cool Re: test ride, T-bird 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBieg
I tried to post pics, but was told they are too big. I need to get some help making them small enough to be put on a forum posting. I will try to get this done fast............
Send them to me and I'll re-size them.
Quote:
I only drove it a little, and the steering wheel seemed REALLY REALLY REALLY loose. I could move it a few inches both ways before the front wheels would move.
Can be sterring box or other worn components in the steering system. These are popular cars and so replacement parts are still plentiful, thanks to restoration companies.

Quote:
My Dad was surprised the junk car's motor has a 4 barrel carburator while the 460 in the running car has only a 2 barrel carburator. I asked if we could switch them, and my Dad said the current motor in the running car is setup to run with a 2 barrel and would run worse if I just had the big carburator slapped onto the 460.
1) All 429's and 460's regardless of 2-barrel or 4-barrel carburetor, had the exact same internal makeup. The engine will run better and be more powerful with a nice Holley carburetor on top.
2) I could be mistaken, but I don't think the 460 ever came with a 2-barrel carburetor; only the 429 did. So unless this engine had the carb & intake manifold changed, it is very likely a 429. If all identifying tags are gone from the engine, it is damn-near impossible to tell the difference between a 429 and a 460 without taking it apart. All the parts are the same in the two engines...except the crankshaft and pistons.

Quote:
Does anyone now what the number we found on the 460 -- D0VE-A3A means? I know what the D0VE means, 1970, but what about the A3A?
-A3A is just a suffix to an engineering revision, that gives trivial data (timeline) in regards to the more important portion of the number that comes before the -A3A.

Also, I am not aware of any D0VE-A2A. On what part of the engine did you see this? There could be a D3VE-A2A. Are you sure the "0" is not actually a "3?" Look closely.

If you tell me on each part what number you found, I may be able to tell you what you have engine-wise.

Paul

We're on the web; click below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Paul Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 15:24   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: test ride, T-bird 1966

From the what I saw from the pictures you posted, that engine came out of a truck. How do I know you ask??? Because of that tall downflow type radiator you have in that car. 1961-present Thunderbirds used a crossflow type radiator. A crossflow radiator has tanks on the sides of the radiator. Your radiator, has tanks on the top and bottom, which is what Ford trucks used. For yor taillights, the emergency lights flash normally, not sequential like the turn signals. There are several T-Bird parts places in business, to find some just pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News and there is a section for T-bird parts. Good Luck with your Birds!!!!!! By the way, that number your talking about is part of the intake manifold part number.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 17:46   #4 (permalink)

Re: test ride, T-bird 1966

Can you post some pictures of the 429/460? I have a 1966 thunderbird with a 351C and I originally had a 429 that was going to go in it if the cleveland didnt work. When I was eyeballing/measuring everything I didnt think it was going to be a very easy swap and am still trying to get the 351 running right. Just interested if it would even be an option.
ncxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Thunderbirds