Ford Forums banner

72 ford f100 problem

37K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
I have a 72 ford f100 with 360 2bbl 500cfm holley carb. manual choke on it with 255+ miles. Its has 1 year old timing gears and chain. The problem is when it gets hot it stalls out and acts if its losing power somewhere especially on a uphill. any suggestions

#4 ·
it runs fine before gets hot. I know when the mechanic replaced the timing gears and chain he said found metal shavings in or inside the fuel pump. also I forgot to mention that the truck isnt grounded. I had it grounded but when it hot and acted up again. I pulled the wire that grounded from neg. post of the battery to the frame but I can hook it back up though. The fuse inline coming off isnt hooked up either because all it does blow fuses when grounding it to the firewall.

#6 ·
I'm either mis-understanding badly, or it's just not making sense to me. The vehicle needs to be grounded. If you are hooking a fused line to ground, well, it should blow. A fused line is positive and if you ground it, either a fuse will blow or wires will melt. On a
'72 model, the fuel pump should be externally mounted, so are the metal shavings in the fuel pump?? or did he see them looking into the block where the pump mounts?
What do you mean by "The fuse inline coming off isnt hooked up "

#7 ·
Everytime I ground the wire with the in line fuse holder to the firewall it blows a fuse. The mechanic said he seen metal shavings inside the fuel pump(without having the pump apart, the part that goes inside the timing cover) when changing the timing gears and chain.

#8 ·
The wire with the inline fuse is a hot wire and does not go to ground.

Can you trace that wire and tell me what it is hooked to? Battery, Solenoid ect. Photos would be a plus +

If you have any doubts about the fuel pump replace it. Pump is around 35 bucks

#26 ·
If you'll notice on the diagram, the white/red (white with red stripe) goes to the oil pressure switch. The red/white (red with white stripe) goes to the temp switch. Someone must have switched stuff around in the past. Has there been aftermarket gauges added to the truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.