Ford Forums banner

74 F100 has caught my eye

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  ScarredKnight 
#1 ·
there is a 1974 f100 ranger it is red and white and it needs a paint job. here is the thing it also needs everything else under the hood. hell it might even need a new transmission, it has one but it has been sitting in the back for god knows how long.

now this is the problem. i am in love with this truck, i have always loved that body style and to me trucks now adays just ain't trucks. what i am thinking of doing is buying this bad boy and storing it until i get the money to do it up right.

i'm 23 and am starting on my career and i can buy it now and in sometime i will have money to spend on this machine, i have time on my side. but, for me to start saving i need to know what i am saving it for.

what should i put in her? i would like to get some of your thoughts on this.

#2 ·
I have a 390 in mine with a C6 automatic.

Here's the engine:

My 74 F-100 was my first vehicle. I've had her for 15 years now and have put over 10k in her. They are well worth the time and money. I know my truck inside and out, so if you need any help with it let me know. My next project on her is putting in a 4-speed toploader, and those aluminum Edelbrock heads.

Here's the pickup and my 03 Mach 1:

Here's some specs on my engine:

TRW Forged pistons .30 over with cobra lemans rods.
Ford SVO cam 524 intake 524 exhaust, 292 duration
Offenhauser 360 degree dual plane intake :hy:
670 CFM Race Demon carb (It's a holley street avenger in the pic)
Ford OEM electronic ignition

#4 ·
I have a 74 F100 4x4 with 410CI, C-6 and engine upgraded to RV specs to pull a 28 cabin cruiser to Lake Powell and Lake Mead. The big blocks are getting harder to come by, mileage is not good (went to Edelbrock with Offenhauser intake for better mileage) 12 to 13.5 empty on the highway, 8 pulling the boat, so, I would seriously look at a 429 and four speed auto. Why the 429 over the 460? Mileage! My setup tachs at 3400 @ 70 mph and that costs mileage. My V10 Excursion tachs 1900 @ 70 and gets 10:MmM: pulling the same boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.