F100 power steering adjustment - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2001, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
trinoGT

F100 power steering adjustment

Can I adjust the lash in my steering without disconnecting pitman arm? I was hoping to just loosen locknut and tighten adjuster a small amount and try the steering again... Hopefully someone can tell me who has done this procedure...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2001, 03:50   #2 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

yes you can adjust the lash with out disconecting the pitman arm. theres a screw with a nut on top of your steering box. hold the screw form moving and loosen the nut. then you can turn the screw to make your adjustment. hold the screw and tighten the nut.
82f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 12:08   #3 (permalink)
trinoGT

Power steering adjust

Thanks for your reply! I will try that procedure. I also need to replace the steering wheel column bearing... My horn doesn't work unless I push against the steering wheel in any direction.
I didn't know that the horn grounds its circuit on the column shaft!
Mark
Old 11-14-2001, 03:47   #4 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

ive never done a column bearing before. you'll have to let me know whats involved. is the horn the only reason for replacing the bearing? if so why not put the horn on a toggle switch?
Old 11-14-2001, 16:21   #5 (permalink)
trinoGT

Steering column

Naw, I want to replace it anyway cause there is too much play in it. The toggle idea would also take away from originality, besides, I don't know if Canada's strict safety standards would allow anything else... Bearing is supposed to be pretty inexpensive as well.
Mark
Old 11-14-2001, 18:24   #6 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

i like the idea of keeping everything original or as close to it as i can. sounds like your saftey standards are alot higher than ours are. do you have to get your vehicles inspected every year?
Old 11-15-2001, 01:00   #7 (permalink)
trinoGT

Safety Standards

Actually, anything over ten years old must be inspected prior to insurance. After that, as long as you don't change ins. companies, you will never have to inspect again. As far as being strict, there is a list I got from customs that shows which cars CAN NOT come into Canada for import, no matter what you do to them. My wife's car (95 Toyota Tercel) had to have things added to it, such as child rear safety seat tether point, and daytime headlight kit. Cost me about 65 bucks for all, plus about 30 minutes to install everything (including a stupid visor decal written in French, something about airbag use for age 12 and under!) Fortunately, anything older than 20 years does not apply to this rule, and you can just wheel across the border after paying 7% on purchase price for duty.
Mark
Old 11-15-2001, 03:59   #8 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

we have to go through a saftey inspection every year and emisions every other year in massachusettes. our inspections sound worse then they are. 83 and older are exempt from emisions. were not required to ad any thing for child seats. although its not a bad idea to make strickter saftey rules when it comes to children. children have to be in car seats and our seat belts have to work. the inspecter has to check the seat belts, but not the car seats. other than that as long as the car isnt all rotted out and falling apart it'll pass.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:53   #9 (permalink)
Fawkin Fordhead

Mark, Where are you? Here in NS it's a yearly safety inspection, and that's it... As for your horn, it isn't the colum bearing that's causing your problem, there are 2 copper contacts on springs that are supposed to contact the back of the steering wheel. I'll be willing to bet that yours are worn out. My truck came from MA, it passed emissions and safety there, but, failed here the first time due to a couple bad spots in the frame. And, yes, a horn toggle switch would pass here in NS... The safety standards are not the same across the country though....
Evan
86 F250 4x4, 460/4 speed
81 F100 4x4, 351W/4 speed
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:23   #10 (permalink)
trinoGT

Horn

Hi Evan. I am in Calgary. Just to let you know, in these older Fords, there was only one contact with spring underneath for the horn. I went with a newer steering wheel (later '70s) with two rows of contact points, but the column contact still meets with one. By rewiring the newer wheel, I am able to get the horn working, but only when I push the wheel away from me. I know my column bearing is bad, as it has way too much play from top to bottom and side to side. But, I will look more closely at that contact like you say, because maybe that might be the problem. Here in Alberta, you inspect once, but if the car isn't driven after a year, you have to re-inspect. Otherwise, you are good for who knows how long...
Thanks!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Older Fords > Classic Fords > Classic Trucks