65' Mustang - Rust?? Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 23:47   #1 (permalink)

confused 65' Mustang - Rust?? Help

We have found a 65 GT fastback c/w pony package, 289, auto, standard brakes. We like the car but have identified some issues, and my inspection is by far not as accurate as some of the ones everyone here might make (e.g. I did not know I needed to look at the cowls, wheel wells, etc.).

I'm trying to figure out what to offer on the vehicle but it has some rust. How much rust is too much, and what effect should it have on the price?

- rust near trunk weatherstripping
- a little rust on undercarriage
- rust on the bottom of the engine (rockers?)
- rust on bottom of driver door panel (paint has bubbled here - 4 to 8" strip)

A side note that the seller said they were not sure why the paint "wouldn't stick" in the areas where it was bubbling.

How hard would it be to repair the rust in these areas, and how much should we deduct from the asking price to compensate for the rust? Or should we just avoid the purchase? Please reply as soon as you can.

Many thanks,
Mountain_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 65' Mustang - Rust?? Help

There's a couple of ways of looking at it, you can see what NADA says and deduct what you think the repairs cost. A decent paint can run $2000 - $4000 unless you do alot of prep work yourself, and you really need to know what your doing or it'll cost you more to reverse the damage that you do before the paint.

Mustangs are very popular, restoration parts can be a little steep, but often you can get decent deals at swap meets and E-bay. Just remember that if you find parts at a ridiculously low price, there's probably a good reason.

This particular pony is not that rare of a breed. Even though it's a fast back, it's not as uncommon as a GT or R series. Personally, I think it's a little steep, as it sounds more like a resto project. Even though most of the paint looks good, you don't know unless you sand it down or wait 'til more paint bubbles. Even for something to pick up as a hobby, it sounds a little steep to me, but I'm also stereotypically Scottish cheap.

What it boils down to is this: what can YOU afford after the purchase and what are you capable of. The best thing to do when purchasing ANY vehicle is this, remind yourself that they made more, look for the deal that'll suit your needs and abilities.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51   #3 (permalink)

Re: 65' Mustang - Rust?? Help

What was the verdict?
F150Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint