Ford Forums banner

Applying Spray Putty

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  73falcongt 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Im currently restoring my 2nd car and have found the need to put spray putty all over the bodywork to give it that very smooth overall look.

I have got a positive pressure gun off a friend, running between 20-40 psi which I tried to apply the spray putty with.

However, the spray putty is very viscous (since it said not to thin it) and it comes out the gun in huge drops, leaves runs and lots of dry overspray. To add to this it dries in the nozzle of the gun as well, which means I have to take it apart every 3 minutes.

Is it my gun thats doing this? If so, what is a proper gun worth, and which type should I be looking at?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Okay I've never used spray putty from the gun, I will have in about a months time. The guy I spoke to said you can thin it down so you probably should a little, but you want it to be thick, the thicker the better. The nozzles on the gun can be changed, get a bigger nozzle. The one on mines 1.8mm I think, or 2mm. Ask a professional though or wait for someone who 'says' their a panelbeater replies to the thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.