coupla questions about painting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
xc ute

coupla questions about painting

hey all got a couple question about painting cars

1. How can you tell if a car is painted in acrylic or 2 pac

2. I'm doing some repairs on my car now and am using an acrylic undercoat.
Im not sure in the future how i want to paint but if i want to put 2 pac over the top is this a drama. Cause i heard you could do one ontop of the other but not the other way round.

3. Lastly whats the best way to fix chips that run along the edge of doors? Ive got an old door im practicing on (See picture)

Cheers chartoo
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 07:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: coupla questions about painting

ok theres a couple of ways to tell if its acrylic or 2 pac have a look at a new car and you will see it has a wrinkled finish (orange peel) this is 2 pac when you see a paint job without this orange peel theres a good chance it is acrylic. acrylic does not have a gloss off the gun it needs to be sanded with 1200 grit sand paper and then buffed when you sand the paint with 1200 grit it sands out any orange peel and when buffed the finish is very flat and shiney, 2 pac has a gloss off the gun therefore does not need to be buffed so you still have orange peel although it is very shiney this way is not always 100% way of telling as you can sand the 2 pac back and buff the same way as an acrylic, the top show cars are usually painted in 2 pac and the cut and buffed the other way to tell is to wet a rag with some multipurpose thinners and the wipe the paint with it if the paint comes off on the rag then its acrylic if no paint is visable on the rag then its 2 pac.. with the primer acrylic can be painted over 2 pac primer but not the other way around, although i have put 2 pac over acrylic primer quite a few time without any problems but the paint companies say they wont garrantee there products if you have any problems so the best way is to just use a primer that is compatable with the top coat your using... as for the paint chips go to your paint supplier and ask for a dagger paint brush these brushes have very long bristles and are shaped like a dagger you simply dip the brush in the paint and the run it down the side of the door in one long stroke
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint