Does polishing the paint give any harm? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 03:16   #1 (permalink)

confused Does polishing the paint give any harm?

Hi,

Some of the car washers recommends me to polish my car to protect the paint from dust and bird droppings. They say that the paint surface is not slippery and it is rough.

I wonder (scientifically) if this will give any harm to the paint? I mean covering all the paint with a thin transparent film. Many car washers or the vendors that sells those equipment are very sure themselfes that it won't give any harm but protects but I am not very sure about it.

All the best

AED71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2003, 03:49   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Re: Does polishing the paint give any harm?

polishing your paint effectively puts a protective layer over the paint, so yes it does protect the paint to a degree. Although, marketing schemes have to be considered, generally a polish every 4-6 months will suffice

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:31   #3 (permalink)
Village Idiot

bird droppings contain phosphorus(?) which will eat away the paint eventually. So i would expect a tranparent layer should offer some protection
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:57   #4 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Try mequires final inspection, its easy to apply and lasts around 6 months, I use it on my cars, awesome stuff.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:14   #5 (permalink)

I thought waxing protected paint, putting a layer on it, whereas polishing just makes the paint shinier and brighter.
KingBEEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:13   #6 (permalink)

Yes, I was mentioning waxing, a thin layer on the surface.

In fact, this layer will "logically" protect the paint from dust, bird droppings etc. however I remember before those new waxing techniques, many people were suggesting those polishing techniques. Now they say that it was damaging the surface; now they recommend this new waxing technique.

The paint of my Mustang is not bad at all, only surface is not very slippery and I need to wash it every weekend to clean the bird droppings.

My previous car Renault had regional color lost because of the sunlight, and I had polished it. After a year it became even worser. Then I repaint all the body to get rid of those problems.

I would like to use my Mustang many years so I do not want to make a mistake that would cost me alot.

Those whom are using waxing:

- Do you need to do it every 6 months or year?
- Will it be a problem if not repeat the waxing?
- Will this wax be lost by time?
- Will it give any harm to the paint because of the chemical reactions? (by time)

I also wonder if this technique is very useful, why the car manufactures aren't using it especially for the expensive cars like BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes?

Many thanks for the replys.

AED71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 15:46   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBEEST
I thought waxing protected paint, putting a layer on it, whereas polishing just makes the paint shinier and brighter.
Yeah I thought this was the case also. I polish & then wax my ED every 4-6 weeks because it is kept outside. This is in accordance with Meguiars' '2-step system' that I read about once. My understanding is that the polish keeps the paint looking good whilst the wax protects it. However I'm not sure whether polish can be harmful to your paint when you use it so often or not. It would be really nice to hear from an expert on this one. I'm looking to buy a new ute soon & I'd like to know how to look after the paint perfectly.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 15:53   #8 (permalink)
mmmmm....kookyfudge

Guys do a search on "detailing" it should show a very helpful thread on products and techniques from the guys in the know!

Sorry guys the thread was in the pub here it is:
Car Detailing

Last edited by kooky; 07-30-2003 at 16:06.
kooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:51   #9 (permalink)
viperspit01

also here http://www.fordforums.com/f538/cut-polishing-xf-some-help-please-44452/index2.html#post477136 proffesorSabre seems to know what he's talking about.....
Old 08-01-2003, 13:58   #10 (permalink)

Just to confuse the issue, I use Kitten "Cream Polishing Wax". Does both in one go.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint