making my own body kit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 19:29   #1 (permalink)

making my own body kit

hey hows it going,

just wanted to know of some places were i can buy cheap sheets of fiberglass and resin, cause im bored and want to make my own body kit :)
Brnesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: making my own body kit

Bunnings have a good value for money kit you can buy.

Try boat shops otherwise for large quantities.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 20:04   #3 (permalink)

okay, i hope you have alot of time on your hands!!! I work as a botbuilder fixing fiberglass is a large process. I run through what it takes to make a bodykit.
1. The first thing to do is make a mock-up of what you want. The material dosen't really matter but it will have to be finished with resin.the finish of the ( plug ) will have to be perfect!! it as to be the perfect shape and of a ultra smooth finish. This means 1000 grit wet and dry to 1500.
2. Now its time to make a mould this is the fiberglass female where the product will evenually come from.When the plug is ready it has to have a be polished with wax and mould release, then has to P.V.A ed not the glue. Then the lay up will begin this is 2-3 times thicker in fiberglass the the product you will pop out, the layup should consist of different types of weaves for strenght as well as timber streghting ribs. Everything as to be clean and precise, and the layup must be to a plan with fiberglass pre cut into shape weighed, the right amount of resin for the weight of glass. The process also has to be well consolidated with a fiberglass brush and consolidater. Ooopps i forgot the gel coat, a vital ingrediant. This is a reddish gel coat called tooling gelcoat this the first step in the 2 parragraph, this is to be applied at the correct thickness and let go dry before the layup.Once this finished its time to cure this is best done under the right heat for the resin you have choosen. Slow, fast, polyester, vinlyester or epoxy.
3.Pop the plug out of the mould with water to break down the PVA an some hits with the rubber mallet.
4. Polish the mould with mould rease about six times and spray gelcoat. Then layup the final product.

there is alot of places that sell fglass at a reasonabe price like FGI,FMS and heaps more around. If its only a small body kit you may be able to get of cuts from boat builders, Pool manufactures or even TAFE.

Its a long process, but it all depends on how large the job is and the complexity of it. You can do small jobs, layed straight up to the car but that will involve alot of sanding ( not healthy ). If ya have any questions i'm only to happy to help!!!
xr-smothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Black 200kw wheel barrow

sounds easy doesnt it............
Old 03-18-2004, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

try bunnings or similar they may have it
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 20:41   #6 (permalink)

yeah bunnings have a kit of chopped strand mat and polester resin( the cheapest one). Choppy may not be the best for what you want . If you can describe exactly what yu are doing i may be able to help. The wrong layup can cause reduced strenght and cracking or crazing in the gelcoat.
xr-smothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 21:39   #7 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

one of me mates dads made a body kit for his EA falcon he took a hyundai excel front bumper and stretched it out at the sides and re moulded it and it looks bloody awesome
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:09   #8 (permalink)

lol mad.. yer i got heaps of free time :) ill start looking around for materials.

i was going to use a ef front bumper and work off that (ie cut it up and make the body kit on it to use the origional bolt paterns) is that a good idea?
Brnesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:17   #9 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i think i can safely say that we all will all be very interested with how it all goes. maybe start a new thread when you start and post your progress along with problems and out comes and so forth. and of course the final fitted product...with pics all the way naturally!!
if all turns out well you may just get a bit of business thrown your way.
good luck with it all and keep us up to date!
Old 03-20-2004, 03:21   #10 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Hmmmm note to self... Anti Itch cream on standby!!!

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint