Metallic paint? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 03:02   #1 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Metallic paint?

OK have been searching but I'll be buggered if I can find the answer - is metallic paint any different to spray than a solid colur? I have sprayed solid acrylic before so I know what's involved there, but I just wondered if metallic needed anything different.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 03:35   #2 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Re: Metallic paint?

i dont think so, im in the same boat...
i THINK!, that the only difference, you really gotta shake and stir the paint, you dont want the metal flake at the bottom of the can, and you start on the drivers, side, and work your way around the car, as you get around the back, you get a little bit of flake in the paint, and when you finish on the passengers door, its bascially metal flake HAHA...

its like spraying normal paint....... i hope

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 00:46   #3 (permalink)

You have to be careful when spraying metallics because if you dont apply it evenly and correctly it will change to different shades of color.Make sure your gun is working properly ie an even fan width.You need to increase the distance from the surface and dont put it on too thick or it will go dark which is called silking.If your fan isnt even in your strokes it will leave lines.When its put on too heavy you lose the metallic effect.As was said stir it properly ,try to box it into another tin.Thin it 1 part thinner to 1.5 part paint.Your air pressure needs to be constantly even ,if you lose the pressure it will go darker.When you start spraying you have to cross hatch or cross coat.Right your first coat needs to be sprayed north to south direction, starting on the roof .The second coat east to west,3rd north west to south east 4th north east to south west.You can also on the last coat spray it criss cross and increase your gun distance from the surface.So in other words its not like when you spray enamels where you over lap 50% and bomb it on .YOu have to dust it on kind of.Leave it an hour and put 2 coats of clear over .Apply that like normal paint.Dont bomb the first coat on or the flakes will float.Any more and it may turn yellow.Remember clear coats do not promote paint durability.You hear people saying clear coats protect the paint underneath thats crap.it does gloss up more but its only really for the painter to cut back and polish without disturbing the metallic flakes.Ive been in the game for 20yrs.Hope this helps good luck.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 00:57   #4 (permalink)

CLARKEY may have given you a scary description on spraying metallic but its not that hard if you can spray solid well. I have taught myself and only spray 2 pack now, my friend is total confident for me to repair his AUII XR8 ute so I can't be too rough.

But you must spray clear over metallics to protect the "metallic flakes". When it dries with no clear metallic goes flat is sheen and if you attempt to buff it it will go inconsistently shiny and dull.

Metallic painting requires an extra step only of clear coating no in-between sanding or anything.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:54   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like fun, cheers for the replies fellas :) Those will be quite useful.

Alex

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 03-05-2004, 02:14   #6 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

not ford, how much different is it to spray two pac, do you use any special breathing equipment or just a good cartridge filter. I went to buy two pac but the shop guy talked me out of it (as I didn't have the right breathing equip) so I got acrylic which I can spray quite well. The group 1 acrylic metallic cost me $60 per litre (I remember paying on average $30 10 years ago) and urethane two pac cost about $130 per litre. Are these prices normal or seem a bit high which I feel.
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 23:42   #7 (permalink)

Youve missed the point notford.These boys have never sprayed it before.I was telling them from a beginners point of view.But seeing that your self taught i would like to see your work one day.Also you dont buff up metallic with no clear lol.What paint are you sanding in between coats.?acrylic?.If you r mate you arent doing it properly.Any tradesman will tell you u have to cross coat metallics.Also what gun set-up are you using.?U use a different cap and nozzle for metallics.But maybe after 20 yrs in the game i know f-all.
CLARKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Now With 9 inch LSD Diff

be careful with the clear as i believe there is a perfect time for it being sprayed on. which is something like about an hour or so after the colour has been put on otherwise if it is done to soon the pressure blows holes in the colour and if it is too late the clear will eventually flake off!
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:34   #9 (permalink)

Bit harsh wasn't it Clarkey? I didn't read his post as saying anything you hadn't already said.
Anyway. Since you know a bit about it a quick question on acrylics - usually I get it fairly shiny off the gun, but last time I sprayed, it was a black acrylic. Came up orange peel like you wouldn't BELIEVE! Looked like the paint had actually gone on in lumps and I had to put 3 coats on before cutting back in order not to hit the metal. Although it came up nice enough after cutting.
So. What went wrong? It wasn't windy or dusty, the gun wasn't spitting, and the paint had been mixed 1:1.5 paint/thinners as per normal.

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 03-06-2004, 17:05   #10 (permalink)

Clarkey I learnt most of my spraying on my friend's race bikes because he used to smash them about every 2nd race meet. I use a gravity feed Arnold, its a really cheap knock-off of the Iwaita Ibelieve. It came with a 2.0 and a 1.4 tip, the 2.0 I only use on enamel and 2 pack primer/surfacer. I have posted a picture of my bike I spray painted in may car port in 2 pack in the photo gallery (blueprint FZR1000). I don't know how to attach photos, last time I tried it it left the meta tags on the post and no photo.

If you want to tech me how to post up photos I can stick up pics of the bikes I painted and the panel repairs I have done. Also I said in my post nothing about sanding metallic, only that you clear over the top.

Turbotorana I know 2 pack is very hazardous but I cheat by spraying in a well ventlaited area (the carport). Using a normal mask in a sealed garage will clog the pre-filters or the filter itself very quickly. Even though I get a little shit in the paint due to the wind 90% comes out with buffing. What I do is hose down the floor with water to a wet but not swamped state after sweeping throughly.

I feel that 2 pack sprays very similar to enamel but a little easier. The finish quality and durability IMO far outwieghs 2 pack's extra cost.

Its hard to quote on prices for paint due to all the different paint group pricings and brands. I use Protec and I don't find it too expensive for me. For my bike I used 250mls of blueprint (should have been 500ml, ran out for the wing mirrors and radiator cover) for $17, the 3L MS clear kit was $60, strainers and mixing cups $3, and the primer I already had which cost me $120 of which I used ~1.5L. Apparently Debeer is cheaper and almost as good (hardly noticeable) as Protec.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint