Need to make make a fibreglass body for 1971 Mustang - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 17:20   #1 (permalink)
aka Moby

Need to make make a fibreglass body for 1971 Mustang

After walking around and around and around our 'new' 71 Mustang we have come to the conclusion that trying to repair the body with sheet metal is just not going to work, trying to find enough original good metal to weld on to is going to be a real problem. One of my sons suggested making a mould from the body and then making a fibreglass mustang, an idea which I dismissed at first, but its starting to make sense now, in retrospect. Problem is we don't really know where to
start. How to make the 'plug' for example and what materials to use, while searching the net I found a post in the archives here by someone who seems to be doing something similar with a XW Falcon.
The guy we bought the mustang from had stripped it down to a shell, everything from the interior has been stored inside, seats etc are in perfect condition, windows are all there except the front windscreen which is cracked. Engine has just been redone and is in very good nick, lights, grill, bumpers etc all all there and in good condition, so it seems a pity to not restore her. Front bonnet and boot lid were also stored inside and are okay. So, does anyone have any ideas on where we start? All help and opinions greatly appreciated.
The shell has been outside, 1/2 km from the coast for about 2.1/2 years, no cover at all.

Last edited by Rustyfords; 07-28-2003 at 17:23.
Rustyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 23:46   #2 (permalink)

hey

I Rember i guy at tafe way back when, he did a front end clip for his 57 chev , as long as the moulds for the paneling are correct and a lot of painents and a bit of mind bending it could be done , as they do it for some classes in racing , space frame and fibre glass paneling , , but is it really that dear dont they still repro a lot of parts still the US , or what about coach bluiders do you guys have them in your country or called somthing eles.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
aka Moby

Re: Need to make make a fibreglass body for 1971 Mustang

They do still repro the parts in the US but with our pathetic currency exchange rate and the cost of shipping over to here it would be way cheaper to do it ourselves, bodyshops here would laugh at us if we asked them to do it, I remember once taking our old Kombi to a couple of them years ago, quite rusted but nothing as bad as the Mustang, the one guy offered to pay us NOT to bring the Kombi to him. I am sure there is someone here who would do it, but the cost would also be higher than doing it outselves, not so much the materials involved but the time.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA

Location: gold coast and off playing with 32psi of boost pumping into 4.1lt of pure ohc feralness and developing a 350hp n/a kit for ea-au i6, also making 5.0lt gear soon enuf

mate have a talk to rare spares i dont have their number tho i am sorry they should be able to help you out a bit

cheers.joe.

1000hp is underway. rods,pistons here!! t88 on its way!!
gm dstroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43   #5 (permalink)
aka Moby

I've got their e-mail address but location is a bit of a problem :)
Old 07-29-2003, 12:43   #6 (permalink)

hey

ive been thinking and if your on a do it your self budget all to do is chase up people in th firbre glass busness and check out what they do .

Friber glass bodys on trucks
platics and moulded products
Even if it sounds stupid but surf boad supplyers
Do they have trade centres , tafe colleges etc over there or is it less stricked.
I cannot under stand shops turning down a job now matter where they are or what county , a job was a job when i was in the trade and the harderd the job the bigger the challange, and as well more money involed. why hasent any one taken of in thr resto feild , same old story is it , just buy a Hyundie and forget about it.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 13:06   #7 (permalink)
aka Moby

Yeah what you say is true, its too easy to just let the insurance write off a car these days and get a new one, there is no pride left in doing a really good job, its the old saying "if you want a job done properly, do it yourself", coming true. My oldest 2 sons have both had accidents in the last couple of months and the repairs jobs were shockingly bad, even tho the insurance covered the costs, at the prices quoted and charged to the insurance companies they should have inlaid their repairs in gold.
Bodyshops here have so much work just fixing up accident damaged cars (SA have the worst drivers in the world, official fact) that they could not be bothered doing up a classic car. Altho there are still a few who will respray one that only has minimum rust or damage, so long as it does not take more than a couple of weeks. Thats the problem, to really do a classic car well is a slow process, ideally the body should be stripped down to bare metal, specially if it has had quite a few owners, all with their own paint jobs on it. Windows should all be removed, that in itself is a problem, 30 odd year old rubber seals do not react well to be removed, they tend to just fall apart, and if its an import the cost involved in replacing those seals are pretty high, also removing the windows is risky cos most cars of that age have a few chips in them, and are liable to crack up, no matter how careful you are, so once again, the importing story. Car should also be taken apart, most old cars have everything bolted on, so to remove the fender involves unbolting about 20 bolts or so, and places just don't want to spend that amount of time on one car.
There is a place locally called Hi Tech that makes Cobra's, they have quite a good reputation, so maybe I should go up there and take a look round, the more I think about it the more people I remember who do this sort of work, guy here who makes GT40's, nice folk. Thanks for jogging my memory there slothman, don't know why I did'nt think of them before, guess its old age catching up, lol.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:56   #8 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

I was toying with a similar idea for a project of mine, and came up with the idea of using clay or concrete over the outside to make the cast for the fibreglass.
Haven't tried it yet, no $$$, but thought you might be interested.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:51   #9 (permalink)
aka Moby

I think concrete may be to heavy, would be a real pain to lift off again, clay might work, also plaster of paris has been mentioned to me, I was thinking of foam filled, doing most of the frame with would and then filling in with the foam, then cleaning it up nice and smooth with body filler.
Old 07-31-2003, 17:36   #10 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yeh thats not a bad idea at all!
Not cheap though.What I was thinking of with the concrete was to impregnate some old bedsheets with it and drape them over the car to dry. That should be light and still reasonably strong without being TOO brittle. Like I say, I've not tried it yet due to lack of $$$, but will be very interested to hear how ya go!

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint