Ford Forums banner

paint crackling dramas

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  atec77 
#1 ·
Hey all

Have been repainting my bonnet on my xc ute. Did all the bog work but when i put on the primer or the colour coat (just the touch up stuff from supercheap). I'm getting very small sections that are cracking up raising up. I painted the whole side of the bonnet and got no trouble but in one section i got a cracked bit about 6 cm by 5cm. see picture

Its driving me crazy cause i have to sand all the cracked bit back and start again. Its not just a one off. Once i fix it some where it happened some where else.

Im thinking its some where in the prep work or application technique.

Close or far spraying doesnt make any differnce.

Will dust or moisture make this happen even though i thoroughly clean off the area?

Ideas please before i get fed up with it. Chartoo

#2 ·
Chartoo said:
Hey all

Have been repainting my bonnet on my xc ute. Did all the bog work but when i put on the primer or the colour coat (just the touch up stuff from supercheap). I'm getting very small sections that are cracking up raising up. I painted the whole side of the bonnet and got no trouble but in one section i got a cracked bit about 6 cm by 5cm. see picture

Its driving me crazy cause i have to sand all the cracked bit back and start again. Its not just a one off. Once i fix it some where it happened some where else.

Will dust or moisture make this happen even though i thoroughly clean off the area?

It looks like an incompatability problem to me. When you did it did you strip it right back to bare metal? If you didnt that will be the problem. It will continue to happen until you strip it right back. Because the old paint would have been enamel and the new was acrylic which is hotter and would have caused the paint under it to fry up as it has. So the only real way to fix it is to strip back and do the whole lot in the one type of paint. Sorry to be the giver of bad news but thems the brakes. Hope it has been some help. John

#4 ·
Chartoo said:
Hey all

You either need to strip that area back of talk to your paint guy and get the right sealer .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.