Paint matching - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2003, 03:05   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Paint matching

Okay, don't ask how or why or any other questions, it's bad enough as it is...

There are 'back to metal' scratches on a Blueprint BA XR8. However the body damage appears to be minimal if any *PHEW*. Where it is scratched is on the very tip of the rear left door and onto the wheel arch/guard. Total scratched length is about 15 cm, if that and heigh of about 5 - 10 cm.

Now the catch is how to respray. Obviously because it is back to metal it has to be primed and then it has to be sprayed to match body colour. But the damaged area is two panels (only just damnit) so to get the 'best' match both panels should be removed and resprayed as well as adjoining panels to make sure that the colour depth across panels is good.

That would mean that its the rear bumper, left hand rear wheel arch and left rear door. Any suggestions in regards to how much this would cost? and how to make sure that a good job is done, etc...

Any hints basically to make sure a good job is done without paying through the nose?

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2003, 05:42   #2 (permalink)
hotelcharlie

paint woes

Ian in reading your problem a reputable panel shop will be able to help you . They wouldnt paint as much as you think . If the scratch is only on the rear of the door the colour will be able to be blended on that panel , the same for the rear panel . Also this rear panel is welded on .The hard thing is trusting someone with your baby , all the best . hotelcharlie :s6:
Old 08-12-2003, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Re: paint woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelcharlie
Ian in reading your problem a reputable panel shop will be able to help you . They wouldnt paint as much as you think . If the scratch is only on the rear of the door the colour will be able to be blended on that panel , the same for the rear panel . Also this rear panel is welded on .The hard thing is trusting someone with your baby , all the best . hotelcharlie
Thanks for the input, problem is how good can blending the paint be? This car recently won a show and shine award, and i'm wondering what experiences people might have with metallic/mica paints. Blending the paint on the same panel might have some serious consistancy issues which means it will always be obvious or at least, never worth putting in a show and shine event again :(

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
hotelcharlie

Ian I know what your saying , but the problem is getting a match edge to edge is more difficult then doing a blend . To be honest with you I have yet to paint your colour , but in saying that I have painted blue pearls like yours . The majoritiy of the door would be clear , with colour and blend at the back near the handle . So you need to find a body shop that can do the work , ask to see some examples of their work . cheers mate !
Old 08-15-2003, 05:55   #5 (permalink)

colours

hey,

Not that long ago , 90 91 but along time in trade years as progres and modern paint techiques have changed radicaly in those years .

It was Late model toyota camaray , so sort of blue ,, the owner very strick in his ways wold not have it blended out it had to be but matched. a scrach in the rear door.

two days later the trades men of 25 years in the painting game throws up his hands and says , cart do it , shes stuffed I quit see yar down the pub. The owner says how much to flow coat the whole car.

To get this out of the shop and to keep you happy , a grand.

That was 12 years ago it would not happen now, hey would just sack the painter.

forgot me point to the reply , i think it was that as the other blokes have said if in Dought blend it out.
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint