Paint Protection - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 23:54   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Paint Protection

Hi,

I was duped into getting paint protection on my XR6 last year and was wondering whether it was OK to wax it still without messing up the paintwork on it?

Just want to make sure before we go ahead and do it, as the car has lost some of its shine since we got it.

Cheers
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 00:12   #2 (permalink)
Snake Handler

Re: Paint Protection

I was told that with paint protection that you can't use wax i use this stuff from repco and it brings me BA up a treat looks magic with the paint pretection as it gives the car a really nice shine the name of the stuff is
Meguire's
Soft wash Gel
Best stuff iv ever bought and iv had both new cars iv owned paint protected and this stuff brings them up great.

Cheers Christine

Dale President
Christine Newsletter Editor

[For those clubs that think we have more then 1 president i hope this clarifys things for you.

Falcon Cobra Club OF Aus (Vic) Inc

www.falconcobraclubofaus.com

1978 XC Falcon Cobra No 287
1978 XC GXL
1977 XC Ute
2003 BA Sports Pack in Acid Rush

Going Ford Is The Going Thing
Cobra_287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 00:41   #3 (permalink)

Plee who did your paint protection? I think a lot of people don't realise that every Ford dealer does not use the same product, or do it the same way. The one I went through gives a lifetime warranty on a permanent, 'locked-in' shine. The warranty covers any dulling of appearance, cracking, damage from tree sap, bird crap, etc, etc. With that sort of confidence, I very much doubt that it is as bad a product as you say. I really think it depends on the dealer. If you had a warranty such as mine, they will simply respray it if it becomes dull.
TJS-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 00:54   #4 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Well, my experience with paint protection was crap. I paid for it, sort of. And they made all the guarantees (but no warranty) but mine ended up getting half resprayed, so it turned out to be a waste anyway. I heard (from Ford) that all dealers just hire some company (whatever one they choose) to come and slap the stuff on - no better than turtle wax etc....and you could do it yourself.

They told some chic that it would protect her car against bird shit, and a few months later, she came in with all these marks on the paint from bird shit, and it had to be resprayed - they did it to shut her up in the end.... I was told none of the stuff they use does this, it is just wax/polish.

And they got mine all over the black plastic areas of the car, ie around the mirrors, and now there is all this white stuff I cant get off....

However, you may have had some kind of different protection, l like an actual protective coat like Armaglaze, where you get that kind of warranty for years. Either way, you should be able to wax it if you want.

The Meguiars Soft Wash Gel is good, as mentioned above - I use that - pretty good cleaner. And I use other Meguiars stuff too, like the Quick Detailer - that works well if the car is dry and cool. Also the Meguiars chamois is the best one I have ever used, for those who are interested!

If you have any questions, just ask the person that sold it to you. However, the Ford chic that sold it to me told me to only wash the car in Baby Shampoo - what a crock! I asked some non Ford paint guys and they said NEVER do that!

I hope the warranty you got is from Ford and the manufacturer of the stuff as well!!!!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:05   #5 (permalink)

When you have paint protection on a car, you need to use a PH neutral detergent otherwise it will wash the wash off like acid. Remember Kitten Car Shampoo in the red bottle??? That stuff was supposedly extremely alkaline and would remove most waxes in a number a washes. That's why Meguiars recommend soft-wash and even better is the gold class wash because it is PH neutral and won't remove their waxes (or other brands) as quickly. BTW, if you ever get a chance, go to a tech night at Meguiars -very interesting stuff.
75Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:10   #6 (permalink)

We got conned into armglaze paint protection too, biggest mistake we made, firstly the dealer didnt remove all of the wax from the factory and the protection was put over that. It should be ok to put something like Meguiars over it, we did and its 1000x better than the paint protection ever was.

XRchic yours sounds like the same stuff that they did ours in there was white stuff everywhere which polishes off fairly easily but on black it really stands out.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
We got conned into armglaze paint protection too, biggest mistake we made, firstly the dealer didnt remove all of the wax from the factory and the protection was put over that. It should be ok to put something like Meguiars over it, we did and its 1000x better than the paint protection ever was.

XRchic yours sounds like the same stuff that they did ours in there was white stuff everywhere which polishes off fairly easily but on black it really stands out.
So you got the actual Armaglaze brand lacquer stuff???? My parents got that on their TX5 15 years ago and when they sold it last year, it was still good! I didnt think Ford did that anymore....

The paint protection I got was just a wax or polish, like I could have bought myself.....and the white stuff got on the black plastic porous bits, like around the outside of the mirrors - and it will not come off! Hmmmm.

Go the Meguiars!!!!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 05-17-2004, 02:08   #8 (permalink)

Yeah we got talked into it and IMO was a waste of time. The dealer applied it themselves which they werent supposed to do (they are allowed to do white cars only apparently) and they stuffed it up. Dealer did it a second time and stuffed it up again so it was done a third time at the distributer in SA nd wasnt much better so we gived up on it and used Meguiars, and its 1000x better. Go the Meguairs
Old 05-17-2004, 02:10   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Yeah we got talked into it and IMO was a waste of time. The dealer applied it themselves which they werent supposed to do (they are allowed to do white cars only apparently) and they stuffed it up. Dealer did it a second time and stuffed it up again so it was done a third time at the distributer in SA nd wasnt much better so we gived up on it and used Meguiars, and its 1000x better. Go the Meguairs
I have a friend who is a Holden freak and hates Meguiars....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 05-17-2004, 02:21   #10 (permalink)
gone

have a look at bowdensown.com.au , under there product range

Have seen 1st hand the quality finish this product has given some serious cars.

Also seen the damage meguiars can cause.
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint