Painting new XR6 Side Moldings? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 01:31   #1 (permalink)

Painting new XR6 Side Moldings?

Thanks to reversing in a driveway with log style gates, i pulled some paint off the left front & rear door mouldings. Its only a few centres of each the front & rear moulding, and next to no damage to the moulding itself.

I just want to get them repainted and one panel place refused to respray the moulds still attached to the car..then told me i have to get new moulds completely as you cant take em off, spray em and put them back on.. cost of new moulds and painted? 220 bucks!

does this sound right? surely it can be done still attached to the car..

Advice anyone? PM or post me

Dan
50cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2004, 01:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: Painting new XR6 Side Moldings?

Do u have "chips-away' company where u r?
I ahve used them and find they r fantastic with repaire work on panels which r still on the car.
They also r very resonable
Funtime25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
aufalcon.com

They should be able to mask it off and respray it, just had it done to my AU2 yesterday, unless your moulds are pretty badly damaged or something it shouldn't be a problem. This was done along with other things so i'm not too sure on the price.
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 19:31   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

im going through Nurlendi Panels in Ringwood. They were absolutely first class when i stopped by to discuss the issue and show them my problem. They gave me the option of new moulds & respray at a cost of bout $230 total, or just sand back the mould and respray at a cost of $170. They said the masking and respraying on the door wouldnt be an issue.. i have been recommended that they do a brilliant job, so willl let you know how it turns out after its in "for surgery" on Monday..

Thanks for the advice

Dan
Old 11-12-2004, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
No longer around

only thing that might be a problem with painting them like that is they may have dificulty doing a colour match.

i was told that its hard to get it right without blending the paint on the door
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:08   #6 (permalink)

Hey guys, got car back. they only had it for 7 hours and got a PERFECT COLOUR MATCH! Can't tell the moulds were ever touched- looks brilliant and didnt need to replace moulds . total cost $170.

Can recommend them to anyone in melbourne's eastern suburbs! Nurlendi Panels in ringwood, off heatherdale rd. Argenti st i think it is.

still gotta get my rim repaired from my other post.. will probably just do it when i upgrade car in a year or so... easier to sell with perfect rims.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint