Panel / plastics painting problem
A few months ago one of my plastic Ghia alloy hub centre things got scratched. There was some really deep scratches that caused sharp points. I decided to try and experiment with fixing it myself.
This is what I did:
1. Sanded down the existing scratches and paint.
2. Filled in the scratches, sanded it down smoothly.
3. Sprayed on primer filler, sanded that down smoothly.
4. Sprayed on metallic paint from a paint store.
5. Sprayed on Motospray acryllic top coat clear.
6. Waited two weeks and then waxed it, put in rubbing compound, waxed it again.
While it no longer appears scratched and damaged like it was, the final texture is still very dull and rough. It is not super smooth and shiny like my other plastic centre hubs on the other wheels, or the rest of the car's panels for that matter.
Does anyone know of the proper technique to get that final result? Does it just require compounding more layers of wax or something?
Or have I done it the wrong way?
Sarge, get a load of my tie.