Popping boot with Remote After fitting Spoiler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 07:33   #1 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Popping boot with Remote After fitting Spoiler

My son has just fitted a XR style spoiler (from the Spoiler Factory in Armadale WA) to his EF Futura. The added weight to the boot lid means that the remote and dash switch will no longer pop it. Anyone got a solution? Ideas that occur to me are:

a) Seeing if a Fairlane or XR series strut is stronger and fits (assuming they had bigger heavier boot lids/lids spolier combo);
b) Adding a rubber piece to the top of the strut rod so it has to comprssed to shut the lid and will pop the lid when the remote is used.
c) Using bigger but softer rubber stops to the boot lid so they act as springs to pop the lid.

Other ideas?
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 00:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Popping boot with Remote After fitting Spoiler

Not sure if the XR's had stronger struts or not, might pay to check with Ford or an aftermarket supplier. I do know that the struts can be bought in different strengths from the aftermarket guys, just take one in for a sample so they can get the length right.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:03   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue
My son has just fitted a XR style spoiler (from the Spoiler Factory in Armadale WA) to his EF Futura. The added weight to the boot lid means that the remote and dash switch will no longer pop it. Anyone got a solution? Ideas that occur to me are:

a) Seeing if a Fairlane or XR series strut is stronger and fits (assuming they had bigger heavier boot lids/lids spolier combo);
b) Adding a rubber piece to the top of the strut rod so it has to comprssed to shut the lid and will pop the lid when the remote is used.
c) Using bigger but softer rubber stops to the boot lid so they act as springs to pop the lid.

Other ideas?
an xr has exactly the same struts you might have to get the ones your got regased.and in your title you have written NB fairlane whats that?
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Quote:
....and in your title you have written NB fairlane whats that?
see Is there an NB Fairlane? and http://www.trueblueford.com/RossNBfairlane.html
Old 09-13-2005, 07:04   #5 (permalink)
nuthin' like a blown 6

sorry dont know the answer mate but your not alone a friend of mine had a ef xr6 spoiler put on their ef fairmont and whenever you pop the boot it would shut again... must be something different with xr boots i guess
SUPER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:16   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I found a simple & cheap solution. Put a couple of small self adhesive rubber feet on the round spots on the metalwork where the rubber bump stops on the boot lid contact the boot aperture when it's closed.
These:http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=H0896
or similar. The extra couple of mm of rubber are enough to pop the boot and doesn't make it any harder to close.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:57   #7 (permalink)

Ford do sell different struts for bootlids with and without spoilers. Go to ford and get the ones to suit bootlids with spoilers.
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:30   #8 (permalink)

i work for ford we do sell different stuts when fitted with spoilers aftermarket will prob be a better way to go. stronger and cheaper but ur ford dealer can supply them
dje4Leb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 00:21   #9 (permalink)
Nitrous oxide xf

look on ebay for door popers u use them for shaved door handles use just the poper its self not the solinoid its a little spring loaded device that when the boot or door is released will spring it only an inch and hold it there untill u close it, they can spring like 30kgs so it will be easy for it to work on boot and spoiler cost like 10 bucks

www.xfords.com xd-xe-xf club of australia and nz
libbys_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint