Premature Paint fading on wing? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33   #1 (permalink)

Premature Paint fading on wing?

I have a red 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe. Around August I noticed that the paint on the top of my rear wing is fading. The clear coat appears to be intact, but the paint underneath is starting to look white-ish. I have always kept the car clean and waxed, so isn't it a little too early for fading? It doesn't appear anywhere else on the car. Can I bring this back to Ford - are they responsible? Have others encountered this? The car had never been in a rear-end accident.

-Sam
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 10:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Premature Paint fading on wing?

was it fitted and painted by ford , if so send it back to them and make them fix it
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:42   #3 (permalink)

Red is notorious for turning pink white and oxidized. You can try some paint cleaner (it might be on top). But if what you say is true its the paint simply coming to the end , could be the clear itself even turning white.

But yeah , red wings....its always getting sun and lots of wind. As well wings are generally not metal and or weird materials which heats and kill off paint faster.
The_Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07   #4 (permalink)

Also consider....
if the part is factory fitted, it wasn't painted by ford.....a problem with outsorcing

Many minor componants are produced these days outside the car makers factory. The person making them, makes X number and paints them as per order. Unfortunatley, the best way to paint Red is Clear over base, but most contracted companies will paint any solid colour as a solid and not go COB.

As stated the pigments in red are most susceptible to detioration, you can reduce this dramatically by choosing COB (clear over base)
If the PART manufacturer has gone solid colour rather than COB, it will be the first item to show ageing.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint