Removing Other Car's Paint From My Bumper - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 18:59   #1 (permalink)

Removing Other Car's Paint From My Bumper

I have a white car I bought used. The previous owner hit something orange or red with the front bumper since they're a large orange / red scuff mark.

How can I remove the scuff mark from my white painted bumper (a 2001 Town Car)? I tried polishing compound, it didn't seem to work.

Can I used some paint thinner on a rag? Will that ruin the plastic bumper cover or the surrounding paint?
JeffG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: Removing Other Car's Paint From My Bumper

White spray paint will work.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07   #3 (permalink)

I'd like to ask the same thing. My car is old, lie 1992 old, so the white paint is quite a bit different than what would come out of a can of white spray paint.

Someone in a dark red car politely hit my back bumper and drove off, leaving a big red mark that I cannot seem to get out. The bumper is plastic, so I don't want to try to rub it out and crack the rest of the old paint. Ideas?
JessicaMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:19   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

A bit of patience with a good cutting compound usually works . I have seen them in the b/shop using thinners once in a blue moon but they know what they are doing and if you dont you will knacker paintwork . I would not advise it .
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 19:21   #5 (permalink)

Trust me, I take paint transfers off of cars six days a week, ten hours a day. Light duty lacquer thinner will work perfectly, or an adhesive remover. Don't be too aggressive. I've never damaged the exterior of a car with lacquer thinner and have used it inside and out.
Red_Tenneger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint