Rust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2003, 08:19   #1 (permalink)
halbbd01

frown Rust

I have some rust in my wheel wells. It comes right up to the edge and is just millimeters from being visable from the outside. I plan to sand it down and prime it this weekend. Do you guys have any advise for me as far as procedure or products?

Am i screwed here? The rust has eaten through the paint and there is a quarter sized rust spot on the wheel well lip and is about to creep around to where it will be visable from the outside.

I have a beautiful paint job. I don't want this thing to get rusty. It was originally a lease in Michigan so it's seen some salt on the roads.

Thank you in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 08:59   #2 (permalink)
good "old" Ford Torque

Lightbulb Re: Rust

Hay man , If you can't see it yet I'd sand blast it and 'paint it with por-15,"' now I don't know what your sitiation is , But they sell the small sand blasters just about everywhere anymore, "cheap" just look around, sanding will hold it off 4 a while, blasting it will work longer! make sure to get as much as you can off. stop by a body shop & tell them what your doing, a small amount of media, (sand or whatever?) shouldn't cost much at all " if its as small as you say " they my even help you out ? if thy're goood old boys and you give them a little respect and BS W/ them a little. remember to go a little past where the rust stops. And this does not remedy the real problum, it just stops it for a while the only way to get-it-gone "is cut it out" but I think I'v heard that the por-15 , will stop it for quiet a few years if done right, "blasted,cleaned, Degreased, cleaned, let dry, ...Paint" AND you can put it on with a brush! it'll finish its self ! Its thick! Tel me if that helps..................
old 67 worker' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 09:05   #3 (permalink)
good "old" Ford Torque

Re: Rust

Oh..ya, don't forget to mask everything off, sand will GO EVERYWHERE!! if you've never blasted any thing before..................You'll be playing with rust spots that you find on your buddies cars !....HA HA :s6:
Old 10-03-2003, 09:50   #4 (permalink)
halbbd01

I just ordered some POR-15 since I've seen that name repeatedly in my search today. Can i do sandblasting? I'm really timid to do that since i've never done it.

I just want to get this stopped so there is no rust showing when i sell this baby in a couple years. i don't want to keep it now that i see this rust problem developing.

I'm kinda bummed. A lot of people say the rust is like cancer so that doesn't give me much of a positive outlook as to the future of my truck.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:50   #5 (permalink)
good "old" Ford Torque

shut your mouth!! if she hears you? she'll lay down on you!! then what are you going to do with her!!! Haaaaaaaa...Ha Anyway,........... yA man, NO BIG DEAL ,it's nothing .the best way, is to see, just go out to a body shop that still does metal!! and ask, they'll tell you all about it. Wear a hood (not) glasses and a mask. I could type till my fingers bleed , But you won't get-it till you try it. find something rusty! ..... 2 practice on, you'll love it! rust won't scare you no more!!!. I'm serious about the hood !"the sand bounces off , coming back at your face (very fast)". find somebodys rig to try and then come back, it takes some work gathering every thing but, the supplys don't cost that much " I assume you have a compressor" just like i said ,they sell little quart size rigs, for stuff just like this. Tell me what you think," after you try it". If your going to just buy the stuff and try it, stay outside in the open.
Old 10-05-2003, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
good "old" Ford Torque

hay just (pm) me when you come back, I want to know what you think? I don't run thru this whole site any more. But I do check my messages.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:04   #7 (permalink)
halbbd01

Hi! My dad didn't have an air compressor so no sandblasting.

I just ended up using a wire brush and metal file. There was a hole about the size of a quarter when I was done. I put two coats of POR-15 on it. I am going to rivet on some sheet metal and then bondo it in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the help. I couldn't send you a message back because you have it blocked and right nwo you're offlien.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint