Ford Forums banner

Rust Repair

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  davway 
#1 ·
I am fixin up my XC panel van at the moment, and I need to fix some rust holes on my car. They are a couple of holes in the lower front doors and some around the rear window. What would be the best thing to do? I thought i would remove all the rust, treat it with a rust solution and then bog it up? Is there any better ways of doing this and any good products to use? Thanks for the help everyone.

#2 ·
I wouldnt have a clue, but im interested also.

anyone?

#4 ·
i use that septone rust convertor from Super cheap,, it is good for the price

I also pefer to weld new steel in but i understand around the sills, close to panel edges etc can be a litle tricky, but try your hand at fibreglassing the holes first with only the thinnest layer of bog over the top..

#5 ·
would u just use one of those wire brush attachments on a drill to get rid of the rust?
should be able topick one up for like $5

#6 ·
they are handy for cleaning up the edges before you apply the convertor but they will not remove any 'bubbles', and seeming how you want to get right in amongst the good steel a dremmel, die grinder or a stone grinding wheel on the end of the drill is also handy
Then just flat grind and sand the whole area ready for the fibreglass and paint prep

#8 ·
i just did the same rust job to my pano. it is bodgy as it only needed to pass a RWC.i used the anglegrinder to get all the rust out taking it back to metal. if you dont have a welder (like me) then get some metal mesh (which no one in this town sells or has heard of) and use that for a backing instead. a bit of a hit is to cut it to shape/size and then flatten it out a bit with a hammer as these days its a bit thicker and meshier than it used to be. do your bogging as usuall. if you want the proper finish around the side windows or any of the back where youll see it from the inside then it would be better to weld metal in. i didnt care when i done mine i just needed a car on the road and now it is. if i had a welder i would have done it properly but hey i dont sit in the back so i dont have to look at it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.