Rust repair - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
Sideways..

Rust repair

Hi all.

I've finally decided to do some rust repair on my XF. Its been bugging me for years and i wish i did something sooner.. entirely my fault.. too slack to find out what to do.

Its on the front left guard, at the bottom, right near the passengers door. I thought it would only be surface rust, but while i was flaking off the rust and paint there was actually a hole there

So now I've taken off all the rusted metal, and taken the paint off about 1cm around the hole (i didnt sand it back to bare metal though). I used some 'rust converter and primer' from repco on it, and its turned it black and apparently it converts the rust back to metal and its ready to get painted straight over.. BUT i have a hole there that i wasnt expecting.. so thats gotta be filled now.

Luckily there isnt a huge big gap behind the hole, it goes back about maybe 1cm or so before there is other metal, so can I just use body filler (bog?) or something to fill in the area behind the hole, and build it up a little bit, then sand it all flat once its dry? Or should I use that fiberflass filler stuff? Its only a small hole and i've got some touch up paint (in a little bottle) and want to just paint over afterwards, then use some real fine sandpaper to rub it back, and a mate rekons to use some polish on afterwards and it should barely be noticable at all.

Anyway heres the picture before i touched it, and the second one is how it is now... with the rust convertor on it turned the metal black (i just outlined where the actual hole is in the picture with a thin white line) and the little black dot next to it was where a little rust bubble was also, so i got that too.

Please let me know if i've just gone and f****d up my XF!!!! or if im doing the right thing. thanks .. and what on earth to do next!! should i sand it down bit as it seems a bit raised after i applied the rust converter... etc.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2004, 17:59   #2 (permalink)
gone to DOT AU

Re: Rust repair

Hi, what i normally do is hit the area in as to create a bigger area for the bog/fiberglass to bond to, i use the fiberglass to block the hole with bog on the outer as fiberglass is a pain to rub back( my experiance anyway) cheers
stewyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 20:59   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

No you haven't stuffed it, just made the problem fully apparent! Rust like you have described where it bubbles up through the paint is usually something that has started on the back of the panel, unless there was a stone chip down to bare metal, so it was always there. If you had left it the hole would have kept growing! Moral of the story, if the paint is bubbling & there are rust stains get onto it NOW!

I wouldn't just fill the cavity with bog because you will create a water trap which will cause more problems in the future.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 21:52   #4 (permalink)
Sideways..

So how would you recommend I patch up the hole, ready for painting? I dont want to have to get a plate welded, as that means even more painting doesnt it? (from the paint heating up..etc)

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 12-03-2004, 14:53   #5 (permalink)

If you cut it out and reweld a piece in with a MIG welder the heat input is not large. You skip weld it slowly to keep heat from building and causing distortion in panel. The area will probably only need a light skim of bog etc before painting. The area to be painted will not be much bigger than what you already have to paint.

If you just bog the hole it will shrink over time and be noticeble. Bog is designed to be used in thin ammounts.

Fibreglass is the other option.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02   #6 (permalink)

weldin is easy n' allows for a much better job compared to fiberglass/filler which will hold up for a while but not for ever and will also soak up moisture causeing a bigger problem by transferin that moisture to the metal (more rust) -
converter dosn't get rid of rust just stabelizes it chemically to stop it .

cut the rust clean the metla n' weld it up you'll be happier in the end ..
ford_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:11   #7 (permalink)
Sideways..

Too late :( The 2 mates I asked told me the bog would be sufficient so long as its all prepared properly and all the rust taken out and used wax and grease remover heaps..etc. I ended up bogging it, and primering it yesterday to protect some exposed metal after sanding back flat. Below is a picture of how it is at the moment. Its basically a perfect smoothness (even though it doesnt look it) and i'll probably be getting a mates mate whos a panel beater to spray that whole section (up to the black plastic strip) and hopefully he can blend it okay.

This is the first time I've done anything like this, and im scared shitless. If this ends up rusting again i'll just cut the whole thing out and weld it like you guys said. I kinda wish now I did it that way at the start, but I wasnt too sure about it all.. this is the first of any body work ever.. and just the thought of cutting her up breaks my heart.

Feel free to shout at me if i've just f****d it up

Old 12-04-2004, 13:54   #8 (permalink)

Make sure you use fish oil or similar on the back of the patch i.e. inside panel. If the patch is not sealed from behind it will rust out again, bog will take on moisture and distort.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 14:44   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF Falcon
Too late :( The 2 mates I asked told me the bog would be sufficient so long as its all prepared properly and all the rust taken out and used wax and grease remover heaps..etc. I ended up bogging it, and primering it yesterday to protect some exposed metal after sanding back flat. Below is a picture of how it is at the moment. Its basically a perfect smoothness (even though it doesnt look it) and i'll probably be getting a mates mate whos a panel beater to spray that whole section (up to the black plastic strip) and hopefully he can blend it okay.

This is the first time I've done anything like this, and im scared shitless. If this ends up rusting again i'll just cut the whole thing out and weld it like you guys said. I kinda wish now I did it that way at the start, but I wasnt too sure about it all.. this is the first of any body work ever.. and just the thought of cutting her up breaks my heart.

Feel free to shout at me if i've just f****d it up
What did you use to block the hole from behind??? If you didn't block it with fibre glass sheet and resin 1st? That'll have used piles of bog, crack and fall out very shortly. stewyone had the right idea just didn't word it well. It's the cheap and effective option. Welding metal in is great but sometimes the prep works not done properly and years later you end up with a bigger rust hole than the 1st hole was. Usually rusts at/around the weld.

Brenden
Old 12-04-2004, 21:18   #10 (permalink)

bro It' should last fine :) I've seen alot of people say there repairs are bulletproof n' end up cracking using fiberglass and fillers on holes ..
cars are made of metal n' should be rapaired with metal Is just the way I feel these days is the proper way - no lap joins either all but welds ..

fishoils does great but does need to be renewed there are other products like waxxol which are also designed to get into n' seal hard to reach panels such as sills etc ..
ford_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint