Rusty Telstar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 23:19   #1 (permalink)

Question Rusty Telstar

I have small bits of rust bubbling through the paint -- around my windscreen, mostly. It's an 89 Ford Telstar sedan. I've never done this sort of thing before -- what cheap sort of work can I do to get rid of it? All these parts are just panels over the body, aren't they -- even the pillars. So I should be able to just cut/grind out the rusty bits without worrying about weakening the car at all. Then just fill it up with some sort of putty -- doesn't need to look good, it's just for driving around in.

Is removing and replacing the windscreen an easy thing to do? Where can I buy a new seal to go around the edge?

Any links to sites that show how to do this sort of job?

Thanks,

Andrew
andrewtelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 00:51   #2 (permalink)
XW GT

Re: Rusty Telstar

sell it before it ends up costing you more than its worth, personally i think there not worth the trouble, many have had problems with them and ends up costing way to much,
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:11   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply -- reluctant to sell however, as funds are limited. Overall the car's holding up pretty well, runs ok for its age so I was really hoping that if I could contain the rust damage I could get another 6 years out of it before the engine dies or something.
andrewtelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
XW GT

Well Then If Your Content In Fixing Grind Outthe Rust And Bog It Up.
But Even Then It Would Last More Than 6 Or So Months. So You Would Be Repeating Your Self Twice A Year.
Removing The Screen Is Easy And Any Winscreen Place Can Fit One For You For Not That Much.
'77 XC FALCON 500.
'92 EB FAIRMONT
'91 EB FALCON
'76 XB CONTINENTIAL
YES I LIKE MY FORDS TO
DANGERXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54   #5 (permalink)
old B - new B

you can buy a pruduct called Ranex Rustbuster at auto shops like Super Cheap that seems to kill the rust . might save grinding your panels.

i wouldn`t be grinding too much out of the windscreen pillars mate or the whole roof might fall off.
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:51   #6 (permalink)

metal mend mate,its like fibreglass,but ya mix it like bog,sand it smmoth,lay a thin layer of filler over that to shape it,sand till smooth,buy a pressure pack of 1 hit putty,spray required areas,then wait till drys,best put a haze of black over the 1 hit once dry,to make sure you got it spot on, then wet/dry with 600 grade paper,and 800w/d around the repair area,so paint will stick,you can match your colour in a pressure pack,then spray,be care ful,and dont be to heavy on the coats(make sure its Acrylic,primers 1 hit,and paint),you,ll be fine mate.
SVONo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint