Spray Painting a car at home? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14   #1 (permalink)

Spray Painting a car at home?

I have an 87 XF GL in an off white/cream color, and I was wondering what I need to do to spray the whole car myself(in the same colour).
I currently have a spray gun and am going to buy a air compressor soon.

What paint should I use, 2pac or acrylic?

What grade of sand paper should I use to sand the whole car down before sraying?

Do I have to bake the paint or can I let it air dry?

Cheers,
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 13:43   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: Spray Painting a car at home?

Do you have access to a spray booth??

If spraying at home, you are best off using acrylic.

As for sandpaper, how far back are you going to rub the car down?

As for drying - if painting at home using acrylic, let it air dry...
Old 01-05-2005, 22:04   #3 (permalink)

For quickest blow over paint job, sand over with 800 wet/dry sand paper. then paint over with colour.

For better job, sand with 400, fill stone chips etc with filler stop or stop putty, bog up any dents, sand back filler and bog with 400 to profile, spray over with filler primer, rub back with 800 next day, spray on colour, spray on clear if wanted.

Always use sanding block when rubbing back.

After rubbing back, clean car with industrial truck wash or similiar, air dry before painting.

Dmax
Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 22:55   #4 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

might look into making a booth out of plastic sheets.give the garage a hoseout.i wouldnt spay 2pac just stick with acrylic
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:02   #5 (permalink)

Hose the floor before painting sanding etc mate, it will draw al lthe dust down to the floor instead of onto ur car
XXX.91F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:04   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax
For quickest blow over paint job, sand over with 800 wet/dry sand paper. then paint over with colour.

For better job, sand with 400, fill stone chips etc with filler stop or stop putty, bog up any dents, sand back filler and bog with 400 to profile, spray over with filler primer, rub back with 800 next day, spray on colour, spray on clear if wanted.

Always use sanding block when rubbing back.

After rubbing back, clean car with industrial truck wash or similiar, air dry before painting.

Dmax
How many coats of paint will I need?

The cars going to be srayed in the garage with the stone chips and rust filled and primed, the rest will be just sanded back and sprayed.

Thanks for the info guys
Old 01-16-2005, 18:45   #7 (permalink)
wanna GT

hi there. you cant use 2pac for the fact is dosnt flex and your car is already in acrlyic that does flex so if you paint 2 pac over the top it will crack no matter what. people will tell you that it would be fine it wont crack if you use the right primer, its bullshit. trust me im a profesional spray painter. The other fellas are right you never sand without a block and makr sure when you have undercoated and rubbed back i would use about 600 use wax and grease remover to ensure all oils are free from the car and paint away. ANd use clear it looks better alot of whites are flat from the gun and clear helps protect and gives great shine.

hope this helps...goood luck
p.s spray overlapping and not to thick
nAmTaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:49   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nAmTaB
hi there. you cant use 2pac for the fact is dosnt flex and your car is already in acrlyic that does flex so if you paint 2 pac over the top it will crack no matter what. people will tell you that it would be fine it wont crack if you use the right primer, its bullshit. trust me im a profesional spray painter. The other fellas are right you never sand without a block and makr sure when you have undercoated and rubbed back i would use about 600 use wax and grease remover to ensure all oils are free from the car and paint away. ANd use clear it looks better alot of whites are flat from the gun and clear helps protect and gives great shine.

hope this helps...goood luck
p.s spray overlapping and not to thick
Thanks for the tip, now I just got to find the time to make this happen.

I will post pics in the near future when complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exterior | Body | Paint